Rotation in clip properties at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 21st, 2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Rotation in clip properties

I'm using Vegas to compile still images into time lapse videos. Using v12 build 770

In one case, the camera was mounted upside down. I need to turn them (still images) right side up.

To me, it seems like the most obvious way to do this is to use the clip properties. I import the image sequence, right click and select properties and change the rotation parameter to 180.

But when I render the video, that parameter gets reset to 0.

To me, this seems like a bug.

But Vegas support says that this is a Windows parameter that Vegas has no control over.

"Clip properties are on the file itself which is an entity that Vegas does not save, but it saved in the OS. Pan crop and track motion are entities that exist at the event level and track level in Vegas, and this is information that Vegas saves as project data which is recalled when the project file is opened."

First off, there is no 'clip'--its an image sequence created by Vegas. Why can I successfully change the parameter and then why does it get reset?

Second, OK, it is a Windows parameter that really can't be set since there is no clip. Why does Vegas let me do this?

Am I wrong in thinking this is a bug?

Last edited by Andy Tejral; January 21st, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: additional info
Andy Tejral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Rotation in clip properties

For those clips goto PAN/CROP and use FLIP in the right clicked menu. Do one then C/P to the others.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Major Player

That's what support suggested. But if I do that, I'll be working with an upside down image in the pan/crop window.

Yes, there are plenty of workarounds. My REAL question is: is this a bug? It sure seems like it to me.
Old January 21st, 2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't understand what you're saying " working with an upside down image in pan crop".

If you flip it in the P/C window it'll be right side up. At least that's how I remember it from the last time I did that a couple of months ago. My edit machine isn't on right to double check it but like I say, the last time I flipped an image it looked correct in the P/C window.
Old January 21st, 2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Major Player

If you have photoshop, this can be done before Vegas in the image processor.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I use IrfanView (it's free) to do this. If there are a lot of them, the batch converter option in it is VERY fast.

IrfanView
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
My REAL question is: is this a bug? It sure seems like it to me.
It seems to be a bug because rotation of still images or video works correctly, only image sequences mostly resets rotation after getting out of focus the vegas window.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...