VP12 black events at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 14th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Major Player

VP12 black events

I've noticed a problem with Vegas Pro 12 build 770. I have all my clips in the media pool and once in a while if I click on a thumbnail, it turns black. If I then load it to the timeline, it will remain black and also play back black in the preview window. This can happen to more than on clip but never all. Audio playback is fine.

If I then render that event on the timeline, it will be fine in the rendered clip. If I reboot Vegas, the black events will load properly and you can see the content.
So, it seems a random bug and I can see no pattern as to what is causing it.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and can suggest a fix.

i7 - 8gb ram- Win 7-64 - Radeon HD 5800 WD 7200rpm drives x 7
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: VP12 black events

what format are the clips?
Old February 14th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Leslie, the clips are HDV shot on a Sony Z1 camera at 1440. 50i.
Old February 14th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Trustee

sorry, i was thinking it might have been a codec issue, but hdv isn't usually a problem.

my only other thought is if you've added any programs recently or codec packs, like klite, cause these can sometimes screw up vegas's own codecs....
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Major Player

No, I have made a point of not installing any 3rd party codecs. Main Concept does everything I need.
It seems to be a problem only for the hdv clips. H264 avchd is fine from my Panasonic AC 160 and the Sony CX 730s I use.
I haven't had this problem before and have now just noticed that some of the clips are changing from black to picture thumbnail after about ten seconds ....but not all. Could it possibly be faulty RAM that's at play here. It's an i7 system running Win 7-64 on fast drives...and all video is not on the C drive and renders to another drive.
No problems whatsoever in the 12 months this system has been running.
By the way, this particular project I'm working on is set to the media properties and only has hdv on the timeline and media pool, so no mixed media involved except for a few .psd stills which are no problem.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Major Player

It is a random bug. Vegas has been infamous for its occasional black clips since version 9 and we're still getting them in 12 build 770 - though yours seem a bit different, it's usually black on the timeline. The net is full of explanations and fixes, none of which address the fundamental problem. Also, because it doesn't crash the program you have to do the extra steps to report it to SCS. I think in your case if you just reload the clip into the media pool it will show up.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...