Freeze if you drag front edge of a clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Freeze if you drag front edge of a clip

Hi Guys

This is weird! I'm using 10E and during weddings I go around the guest tables so the bride has a record of who was there. To make it easy I go around table 1 and then point the cam at the floor until I get to table 2 etc etc so I have all the tables on one clip but with footage of the floor that needs to be edited.

OK, the way I do it on the timeline is play the clip until the end of table1 and then cut... I then drag the front edge of the clip along until I get to the start of table2, drag the complete clip so it crossfades onto the first then play the next piece and repeat the process by cutting and then dragging the front of the clip again until I come to table 3. After about 4 or 5 sequences the NLE freezes the preview and I get the dreaded "Vegas is not responding" .... I have to exit and start over from where I saved the project.

If I DON'T drag the front end of the clip to discard the junk footage but simply play and cut and then play again and cut and finally delete all the rubbish bits I get NO freeze ever!!

If you drag the front end of a clip to shorten it does that maybe eat up memory for some reason???

Anyone know??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Freeze if you drag front edge of a clip

I don't have the answer, and I haven't encountered this problem but it does occur that you would be a lot better off if you used the trimmer, it's made for these kinds of cuts.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Chris....I've just repeated your scenario but with Vegas Pro 12-770 using a 20 minute event but couldn't
get a crash. Repeated this several times, with and without a heap of other mixed events on the timeline spread over several tracks. I have 12gb ram in my system. One thing I have done is to turn off GPU processing recently as it was causing a crash repeatedly....I also 'clear edit history' if there have been lots of undo's etc. I never had that problem in V11.
I know this doesn't help you really but thought I'd give it a go.
Edit: I just saw Rainer's reply....the trimmer is definitely the answer. I always use it.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In the years of Vegas use, I've come to the conclusion that it sometimes just has brain farts, no explanation. Of all the 'vegas not responding errors' I've had over the years, I don't' think I've been able to duplicate them outside the project with a different project. Is this with every project you do?
Old March 7th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

I trim clips directly on the timeline quite often and never have an issue ..if only occurs when you are dragging the front end to keep shortening the clip ...Hmmm maybe it could be "edit history" clogging up!

Got another two weddings this weekend so I'll try a few different methods but it's just as easy to just use play and cut especially since I use the Shuttle Pro to edit so I just use the shuttle control and hit the cut bar so it's pretty quick ..if it is that then I'll simply change workflow.

Yeah Steven sometimes it just decides to quit on you and not respond but those are fairly rare!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...