How to make scrolling film strip? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 4th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Trustee

How to make scrolling film strip?

I'm trying to do this scrolling film strip with the videos moving from the lower screen to the upper. I made a back generated media on a white background and used pan keyframes for the individual tracks to scroll them from down to up. However I cant syncronize even for the first 2 tracks. The were moving at different speeds!! I did it by copying the first clip to the second and added a delay in front of the second track. The distance to move are exactly the same. Where did I go wrong?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Sean,

If you're using event pan/crop to make the move, try setting the smoothness for EACH key frame to 0 (it's in pan/crop->properties->keyframe interpolation.)

Cheers,
-Matt

a pixel a day keeps boredom at bay
Matt Ockenfels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Trustee

ok, I'll try it later.Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #4
Old Boot

Sean? I use Track Motion. I've got a veg I created which demonstrates the idea. You are welcome to use it or not, up to you.

It is a strip, containing 4 video placements, going left to right and back again, but you could also change it to what you want. Think TM!

Swap out my gen media with your own video.

I'm emailing you now.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Grazie,now thaz something really helpful! Frankly I'm not able to really comprehen the differences bet track motion with pan & crop. The mixup is the worst when PIP comes in.I always made borders round the pict but the border turns out on the entire frame instead of just the little picture.
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Sean, to create PIP's, you're better off using Track Motion (unless doing it via a script which requires that you use Pan/Crop). I think you'll find Track Motion much easier to work with.

As for the "speed changes", as was mentioned, change the SMOOTHNESS setting on ALL keyframes to zero. This will let your linear keyframes truly be linear.

If you DO use Pan/Crop, as you have, and want to add a border, it can still be done. As you saw, by default the border does the entire screen. However, open the border effect, look down at the bottom to the left of the timeline and to the left of the word "Border" where you sould see a small triangle. Click that triangle and the border should now apply to the resized image instead of the entire screen.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
If you DO use Pan/Crop, as you have, and want to add a border, it can still be done. As you saw, by default the border does the entire screen. However, open the border effect, look down at the bottom to the left of the timeline and to the left of the word "Border" where you sould see a small triangle. Click that triangle and the border should now apply to the resized image instead of the entire screen.
Wow,thaz another new trick to me.I used to resize the entire frame or something to get round it.Thanks Edward!
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #8
Sponsor: VASST

Sean,

I have a tutorial on my web site on Using Parent Motion to make a moving film strip complete with a project veg file. This should show you exactly how to do what you want.

~jr
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
Sean,

I have a tutorial on my web site on Using Parent Motion to make a moving film strip complete with a project veg file. This should show you exactly how to do what you want.

~jr
Wow..another great help. Thanks I'll go look for it now!
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #10
Major Player

Film etrip effect revisited

Sorry to ressurect an old post but....

I tried John's tutorial - very easy to follow - but it doesn't work for exactly what I want to do. I've got say 20 video clips I want to scroll right to left along bottom of screen (don't need film strip graphic). I've reduced each one to 200 pixels wide and the x position is offset by 210 pixels from next left clip so there's a slight gap between each clip. So I've actually gone way outside the viewing frame - there's only 3.5 pictures physically on screen.

When I use parent motion - it's only scrolling those 3.5 pictures - it's as if it can't see my bigger workspace with all of the other clips in it. Am I being a bit optimistic to expect this to work?

Thanx

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #11

You missed one of the last lines in the tutorial:

I copied the composite track and all of its children and inserted them again but offset them so that their movement followed the first filmstrip giving the illusion of a much longer strip. (and when you're making movies, illusion equals reality)

This means you will always only get a small number of tracks in the viewport. If that number is 3.5, then just put 3 into one composite. Then make another composite with another three. Now you can offset that whole composite to start where the first one ends. Then make another, and another, adding them to the send of the previous. This is how I built the continuous scroll of pictures.

Hope this helps.

~jr
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #12
Major Player

John

Thanx - I had missed that. Still got a couple of probles though.

No matter how i line up the tracks the second group will not move in time with the first group - it overlaps or lags behind.

Also - you say to start the scond group where the first one finishes. If I'm scrolling from right to left - don't i need to start the second group as soon as the rightmost edge of the righmost clip of the first group has appeared in frame.

And finally - when I go into parent motion it has the width set at 395.59. Where does it derive this figure - given that each clip is 200 pixels wide it should be at least 600?

And very finally - I highlighted the first set of tracks and selected "Duplicate Track" which workd fine - 4 more track including one parent were added below. But if I delete the event on one of those tracks to use different footage i lose my track motion details for that track and have to reapply it.

I'm sure a lot of the above is pretty basic but any help, as always, much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ian
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Briscoe View Post
But if I delete the event on one of those tracks to use different footage i lose my track motion details for that track and have to reapply it.
Don't delete the event. Instead, right-click drag the new clip to that event and "add as takes".

You could also turn off "Lock Envelopes to Events" and they won't be deleted.

Attached is another means of doing it without the use of Track Motion. That assumes the clips are all the same/proper size, though, as Pan/Crop is used instead.

NOTE: This is a Vegas 8 project.
Attached Files
File Type: veg FilmStrip.veg (25.1 KB, 328 views)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for yet another way of doing it Edward.

'Takes' - I keep fogetting about them - only time I use them is in Excalibur where they are such a timesaver when I realise I didn't want to cut to that camera after all!!!

Ian
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #15

Quote:
No matter how i line up the tracks the second group will not move in time with the first group - it overlaps or lags behind.
Make sure your keyframe smoothness is set to zero (0) and the type is Linear. It also helps to align the first and last keyframes while in the Track Motion editor using the mini-timeline. I have them moving in lock sync by aligning where I want the second set to be as it enters the screen (aligning it with the first) and exists the screen. It the stays in line for me.

Quote:
Also - you say to start the scond group where the first one finishes. If I'm scrolling from right to left - don't i need to start the second group as soon as the rightmost edge of the righmost clip of the first group has appeared in frame.
My bad. You are correct. I usually drop a marker where the next track should start and then align the events with the marker.

Quote:
And finally - when I go into parent motion it has the width set at 395.59. Where does it derive this figure - given that each clip is 200 pixels wide it should be at least 600?
I have no idea (sorry)

Quote:
And very finally - I highlighted the first set of tracks and selected "Duplicate Track" which workd fine - 4 more track including one parent were added below. But if I delete the event on one of those tracks to use different footage i lose my track motion details for that track and have to reapply it.
You can also right-click and choose Select in Project Media List. Then right-click on the media in the Media Pool and choose Replace... This will replace the media for that event. You can also use takes as Edward suggested.

~jr

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...