Vegas Pro 13 is Here - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 27th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Vegas Pro 13 is Here

I have to agree with Leslie that they need to sort out the bugs.

Years later and several PC's the bugs and instability remains. No one can tell me its my PC as Ive changed it loads and its a dedicated editing machine. Nothing but the essentials on there yet it still isn't stable. I have mouse button 3 assigned to quick save.

I keep hoping that the new version will fix certain things but it never comes.

As I said in a previous post, you can't even report bugs to sony. Just the help desk which is outsourced to a bunch of script reading monkeys and if your problem isn't on a script then it goes no further.

Anyone tried telling it how to properly handle C100 PF files? Your supposed to be able to save the media settings for future imports but it doesn't work. We've had to write a script to do it each time.
Old April 29th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I gotta say - Vegas Pro 13 is worth a try. And I have been limping along with a constantly crashing v.10 for years, paid for 11 and never used it, and skipped 12 entirely. Just paid for 13 and GPU acceleration seems to really work on renders, and it overall seems much more stable.
Also, over at the SCS forums I'm seeing regular and frequent input from two members of the SCS team who are very concerned when bugs DO show up and are doing everything they can to address them.
I have high hopes from for Sony, SCS and Vegas Pro given these developments.
The $150 to update, for once, seems money well-spent.
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #33
New Boot

Agreed. I also skipped over the Vegas 11 & 12 upgrades, due to a lot of advice from this forum. I'm having no issues so far with 13, other than the fact that it maxes out my meager 6 GBs of memory from time to time, and I have to wait a bit. But that's an issue with my 3 year old desktop...not the software. So far, it's been stable.
Bill Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #34
Regular Crew

V13 - Is it really an upgrade or just a con to 3rd party plugins?

I am having trouble getting excited about Sony's latest offering. And must add I find Sony's new approach a little alarming.

Rather then offering core support, new features and upgrades within the actual software, Sony appear to be relying on third party apps to do the heavy lifting and make sales.

So the upgrade offers:

Some plugins from 'FXHOME'
'CALM' loudness meters
'New Blue' Essentials VI
'iZotope' Nectar Elements
'HitFlim' 2 Ultimate
and Sony's own 'Production Assistant 2'
Support for apple tablets for a PC based software .. no android??
Also for a few more dollars you can add in: 'Tiler Pro 3' and get a copy of 'PrimeTime Lower 3rds' FREE
(What about the steak knives??)

What worries me is that most of these are separate licenses and at any future upgrade time I will have to step through them all keep things working and integrated, not to mention pay the individual upgrade fees.

I like most of what these add-on's do, however Sony should be trying to work all this action into Vegas directly so that it all runs cleanly under the one license but more importantly all integrated into the one NLE.

With the 'Cloud' alternative offering fully integrated solutions, this latest Sony offering to me looks like a mess.... A truly scatter gun approach.

Please straighten me out if I have missed some obvious benefit to the upgrade approach Sony is now employing. I have been a Sony true believer for the last 8 years and feel bad now that I may have backed a loser going forward. I have been very productive (and happy) with Vegas to date and hoped Sony would stay with the program.

Hopefully I am wrong about all this and I can happily stay and grow with Vegas:)
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:59 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I'm still running 10 because it's stable. Since I've upgraded to mxf 50mpbs from my Canon XF300s, I'm wondering what I would gain in terms of rendering? I already know from another thread that I'm missing 'match output' on the render.
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:01 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Re: V13 stability, I haven't edited much with it because the trial has a watermark!

Because of watermark I will likely skip, I always try before I pay for upgrade. I have not skipped an upgrade since Version 7 which is when I started.

I can say that as per usual, Vegas froze up on me immediately with four lines of 1080i footage, until I turned off the GPU acceleration. Then all seemed to be fine. Must be my card, I don't know, nor do I care much about it. I haven't had high expectations for the GPU acceleration since it debuted.

I am disappointed about the watermark installed on trial version. I just can't spend a few hours to edit something for practice to see how it works for me.

Timeline performance seems sluggish compared to V12, and V12 opens same project noticeably faster. It could be that these things would be fixed with a reformatted HD and clean install, I don't know.

Looks like a bust for me. There are few features that are exciting and was looking forward to them. Overall, my suspicion is the program is about similar in stability to 12, but I have no real proof of this.
Old May 1st, 2014, 02:47 PM   #37
Major Player

I'm also questioning whether I should upgrade to Vegas Pro 13. I think I only missed one update since Vegas 4. As Robert said, it does seem as though Sony is relying on third party products to make their product interesting and exciting enough for people to buy it. The few new features aren't important to me, although I'll probably use a few a few if I do upgrade.

I like running the latest version Vegas Pro for minor interface improvements and support. Also like that Sony usually comes out later with a free update that includes more new features, not just big fixes.

I'm still a fan, but I'm on the fence about upgrading. With Sony's lack of significant update to DVD Architect in years and the dwindling number of improvements (and still GPU acceleration doesn't work reliably) in Vegas Pro, I'm wondering if this product is on its last legs.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:07 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I am still wondering, as I have for several years now: why does Edius have it's amazing preview ability while editing without using GPU acceleration? What is it about it that this area is such a challenge for Sony to pull off?

If anyone happens to know the actual reason this is so I'd really love to know. Still baffles me.
Old May 1st, 2014, 03:09 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jasany View Post
With Sony's lack of significant update to DVD Architect in years and the dwindling number of improvements (and still GPU acceleration doesn't work reliably) in Vegas Pro, I'm wondering if this product is on its last legs.
FYI (if sony reads this thread) I agree. I've been with Vegas before Sony bought it from Sonic Foundry. It has always felt to me that Sony is out of touch with it's users, rolling out buggy versions with little or no change. And their tech support is the worst I've ever delt with.

Yeah, Sony might be done with it, kinda like Apple and their 'done with' attitude on DVD authoring.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM   #40
Major Player

Hi

Vegas Pro 13 has been pretty stable for me to date, only showing a crash dialogue so far when I've closed it! Although it seems to be the case you can go many hours with Sony Vegas and it works fine, then the next time, crash after crash, so I haven't stopped saving after every edit!

I've upgraded from Pro 10.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
Vegas Pro 13 has been pretty stable for me to date, only showing a crash dialogue so far when I've closed it!
It is fixed in update build 310.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #42
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juris Lielpeteris View Post
It is fixed in update build 310.
I've got 310 and haven't seen it since, I wonder if the fix was:

IF Application <> Exit AND Error THEN
Show error message
ELSE
Don't bother to show error message as closing application anyway ;)

Regards

Phil
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
I've got 310 and haven't seen it since, I wonder if the fix was:

IF Application <> Exit AND Error THEN
Show error message
ELSE
Don't bother to show error message as closing application anyway ;)
It really doesn't work that way
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:02 AM   #44
Major Player

Hi

It was a joke, although writing software for my main living, it wouldn't be a surprise.

Regards

Phil
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Well, it's just, you know how hard it can be to catch all errors, specially during shutdown ;)
Frans Meijer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...