New PC for Vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:36 AM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: New PC for Vegas

Leslie, I agree with you. So it may be worth looking at current AMD/ATI cards instead of old nVidia cards. I would steer clear of the Intel HD cards at this time, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #17
Major Player

Wow! My head is spinning! I read those two old threads and find I really don't know what conclusions to draw.

I looked at a bunch of those sites and they're just too pricey. More than I need I think.

But I was looking at this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045283-REG/hp_f1l58ut_aba_z230_x_e3_1230v3_8gb_500gb_windows7p64_windows8_1p.html
I wanted to stay under $1000 but maybe the added cost is worth it? With 3T internal drive, wifi and card reader--$1300. But well under the $2500 for a custom build.

What do you think?
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #18
Trustee

andy, what's your main format you're editing - that could be quite a factor in deciding the pc you need. eg. dv you can edit on almost any pc, 4k would be a whole new ballgame....
Old July 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Eh... somewhere in between. I do have a lot of DV footage that I still hope to use one day... But various HD formats: HDV, AVCHD and whatever my Canon t4i shoots.

At the moment, I'm just producing for youtube. I've been doing 720p24 to save on upload time. Plenty of quality for my purposes.

I don't do 4K output but I do have high res input! My time lapse videos are shot with 3k or 4k input. I see this has a great impact on preview ability.

Right now, my computer choices are an old Core2Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz winXP--vegas 9 (some kind of AMD graphics card) and my newer i3 2.4gHz.laptop Win 7-vegas 12. For rendering, the old computer is somewhat faster. But for previewing video, its pretty much a draw. With proxies, I can just about edit on the i3. But without, the old computer can't keep up.

So, I want something better than those. Money IS pretty tight. I was really hoping that old computer would work but it just won't. I suspect a hard drive might be having a problem.

So, emphasis is on CHEAP but with a GOOD (not great) editing experience. Full speed preview is more important that final rendering speed.

Does that make any sense at all?
Old July 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Looks good for the money, Andy. You would want to consider adding 8GB of Ram for a total of 16GB. B&H can probably do that for you and add to price.

The processor looks decent for what you do, but truthfully am not familiar with it.

Personally I would just keep your case and replace the MOBO, processor, ram, etc. New 8 core processors are coming very soon which is what I would want.
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #21
Major Player

From some research, that Xeon is similar to the i7 4770 (?) but without graphics. So, its cheaper and I'm not paying for something I'm not going to use--seems like a good deal.

I'm just ordered that computer. I added a 3TB drive but I didn't get more ram, I can add that if it seems mandatory. Wish me luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...