DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Red Epic Footage Colors in Vegas 12 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/524327-red-epic-footage-colors-vegas-12-a.html)

Sunny Dhinsey July 30th, 2014 10:04 AM

Red Epic Footage Colors in Vegas 12

1 Attachment(s)
There seems to be a stark difference in color space reproduction when editing my Red Epic footage in SV12

The SV12 timeline shows the clips as dark and not as sharp in comparison to the Cine-x previews.

I've attached two sample frames to explain the results.

The flatter image is the Raw clip as seen in Cine-x.

The yellowish contrast image is what happens on the SV12 timeline.

Any ideas why this happens and how to rectify?

Many thanks in advance!

Sunny Dhinsey July 30th, 2014 10:25 AM

Re: Red Epic Footage Colors in Vegas 12

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the two images side-by-side

Sunny Dhinsey July 30th, 2014 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another frame exibiting same behaviour

David Stoneburner August 1st, 2014 08:13 AM

Could it be the way your setting up your project? Check your project for 8bit, 10bit or 32bit. I'm not sure if this is right, as I don't shoot with RED, but my understanding is it's basically RAW which uses the full 32bit. I think. I'm just guessing right now.

Graham Bernard August 2nd, 2014 03:26 AM

Sunny, just where are you seeing those TWO - A and B - images? Be exact with your reply.

Cheers

Grazie

Sunny Dhinsey August 2nd, 2014 08:33 AM

The flatter image on the left is a frame grab from inside Redcine-X which shows the Redcolor 3 and RedGamma3 color spaces.

The image on the right is a frame grab from the Sony Vegas 12 timeline.

My project is set at 32 bit.

I'm assuming it may be because Sony Vegas doesn't fully support Redgamma3 and Redcolor 3 color space?

Norman Black August 2nd, 2014 09:05 AM

Remember that with RAW files, a small difference in the RAW conversion parameters will make a visible difference in the viewing result. Each app can have slightly different defaults/settings.

Sunny Dhinsey August 2nd, 2014 09:35 AM

Thank you for the replies so far guys.

Norman, the footage looks very close (if not identical) to the Redecine-x source clip when viewing it in Adobe PP CC which supports the RedGamma3 and RedColor3 color science, so I'm assuming lack of support in Vegas is causing these results.

I am currently editing in Vegas and finishing in Premiere Pro CC as a result.

It just would have been nice to do everything in Vegas.

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny Dhinsey (Post 1857012)
The image on the right is a frame grab from the Sony Vegas 12 timeline.

Nearly there Sunny. Where are you viewing that VP T/L Preview? On an EXTERNAL or the INTERNAL VP Preview?

Grazie

Graham Bernard August 3rd, 2014 03:38 AM

Another question Sunny. Are you placing that Flattened example onto the VP Timeline?

G

Sunny Dhinsey August 4th, 2014 03:05 AM

Hi Graham,

Q: Where are you viewing that VP T/L Preview? On an EXTERNAL or the INTERNAL VP Preview?

The frame is from the Internal preview monitor within SV12

Q: Are you placing that Flattened example onto the VP Timeline?

I am drag-dropping the .r3d file directly onto the SV12 timeline.

Even after rendering and viewing the clip on multiple devices, the results are the same.
It does seem it is down lack of Red color space support, as I'm not having this issue within Premier Pro CC.

Juris Lielpeteris August 4th, 2014 03:12 AM

Internal preview of Vegas unlike most of viewers not expand broadcast video levels to PC full scale for monitoring. Use external monitor and/or videoscopes or tune your video card.

Graham Bernard August 4th, 2014 11:41 AM

Juris is correct. And is the reasons why I was trying to get from you just where and how you are viewing your work, without prejudging your feedback.

One of the ways to work around this is to apply the SONY LEVELS FX Preset: ComputerRGB to StudioRGB Level. It will totally depend on just where in the chain and output you ARE viewing your EXPECTED output. I have an EXTERNAL Monitor and on that I can also set the StudioRGB to ComputerRGB.

Keep the SCOPES open and when you apply the Levels you can actually see the STRETCH of your work going UP towards 255 and DOWN towards 0 .

I don't have ant RED nor the options to play with the 32 BIT Float. But I'd think you need to get your Levels correct first.

Cheers

Grazie