BMPCC files don't open in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

BMPCC files don't open in Vegas

Well, at least in some Vegas version

I have Vegas 12 on one machine and Vegas 13 on another. When I drag and drop a ProRes file from the BMPCC onto the timeline in VegasPro 12 it works just fine. When I try to do it on Vegas Pro 13, it doesn't work.

Any ideas? Right now I wind up copying files across the network to the Vegas 12 machine and rendering them out as Cineform and bringing them back to the original machine for editing. Not an optimal workflow.

I have Quicktime Pro 7 on both machines (although it was installed after installing Vegas Pro, if that makes any difference.)

By the way I googled around and found some info that said older versions of QT would enable Vegas to open the files. I spent (wasted???) an hour fooling around with downloading various old versions of QT and nothing worked.

Just for fun (???) I opened Premiere and Edius and dropped the same files on the timelines and - they both worked just fine.

So clearly this is something Sony could easily fix.Of course I guess I could use Premiere to transcode the clips into Cineform to use in Vegas - or I could just learn Premiere, or use Edius. I've used Vegas forever and I like it but if it won't open the media from our cameras it isn't much use any more.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; April 2nd, 2015 at 10:25 PM.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: BMPCC files don't open in Vegas

Follow Up

I have an old install of Vegas 9 on the same machine as Vegas 13. Vegas 9 is perfectly happy to open the clips from the BMPCC. Works fine.

I guess it's "Back to the Future" or maybe "Forward to the Past"
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: BMPCC files don't open in Vegas

This is the inherent problem of everyone switching to ProRes, you leave PC editors with limited choice.

No one will ever write native ProRes support on Windows thus why all major projects with ProRes source material on Windows will ALWAYS CRASH or have black frames.

The closest thing to proper Windows support is DNxHD in MXF. And native support for that is only available on Premiere CC.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...