Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 6th, 2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is

I found that sometimes it did over estimate the size, so I would prepare the disk without burning and if it came in under max size burn it. If oversize decide how much over eg. 10% then rerender at 15% lower bitrate.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:14 AM   #17
Old Boot

I don't know if this has been raised in this thread, but along with BitRate Calc I also use BitRateViewer. This free utility gives an excellent graphical representational Graph of the whole file. This shows me the PEAKS and TROUGHS of the rates varying. On more than one occasion I have been able to pinpoint a "rogue" peak that was scrambling/cluging-up my otherwise perfect DVD.

BitRate Viewer: Bitrate Viewer - Main Page

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Robert, Don's recommendation is the way I do it if I have multiple files to create for a DVD.
I use the bitrate calculator found at http://www.johncline.com/bitcalc110.zip
It's never let me down and I find it to be a great tool.
I do make a few changes to it when it first comes up as indicated in the screen shots below.
I change the default safety margin from 1% to 5%.
I click the Settings box and, on the screen that comes up, click 1 kilobit = 1024 bits.
In that same window, I set the Audio encoding type and bitrate option to 192 kB/S as that's the DVDa standard. If you prefer to use a higher value, adjust accordingly.

FYI, I used it set to 2 hours (for your video) and got the following numbers (see screen shot below)
Attached Thumbnails
Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is-bitcalc-1.png   Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is-bitcalc-2.png  

Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is-bitcalc-2-hr.png  
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #19
Trustee

OK, I found it, I think.

Not only do I have to be more careful about EXACTLY which Architect codec I use, (DVD Architect 24p NTSC Widescreen video stream), more importantly

In Architect's properties (under File) is the option for... bit rate. Even when I'm using the correct bit rate in Vegas, when I put the files into Architect, its recalculating all of it at 8 bit instead of whatever I rendered the mpg files at.

That means my 5 or 6 Mbps files end up as 8 Mbps, except, of course, they're not really. That's why Architect thinks my 9 gigs of files is 12 or 13.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Welcome to the black art that is DVD encoding :)
Here are two screen shots from the render settings panel using your two hour timeline for the bitrate I recommended in my earlier post.
Make sure to choose the 2-pass option as this will maximize your final quality. It will take longer but the results will be worth it.
I always set my Video Quality slider to it's highest setting.
On the Project tab (this is in Pro 12), I set the Video rendering Quality option to Best. Once again this will make for a longer render but the final quality, especially still images, will benefit from it.

You can save this as a preset if you know you'll have similar length projects in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is-render.png   Architect problem... claims project is more GB than it is-render-2.png  

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks, Mike, that is what I've been using.

With my new find, I think I may try rendering the mpg from Vegas as best quality and full 8 bit, like Architect wants, then let Architect do the conversion down to whatever bit rate I need. Its going to do it anyway, why not let it.

I may start doing a bit of math for my Vegas template, make sure I'm doing as close to loss less for my long term storage as possible. Right now, I pass the clients their DVDs, then on USB they get mp4s and a VOB to make more DVDs if they want. For me, I'm storing mp4s and mpgs, but maybe that should be AVI to avoid loss.

I am shooting on a 5d Mark ii and 70Ds. The 5d is under 6 MBps, I believe (though Magic Lantern let's you bump that way up to 76 MBps). The 70D is around 10 MBps. Should base my numbers on that for a start.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Benda View Post
With my new find, I think I may try rendering the mpg from Vegas as best quality and full 8 bit, like Architect wants, then let Architect do the conversion down to whatever bit rate I need. Its going to do it anyway, why not let it.
Robert, DVD creators on this and other Vegas forums who are much smarter than me always say to do your encoding from Vegas instead of letting DVDA do it for you.
Letting DVDA do it for you means that it does what it "thinks" is best, not necessarily what is best. I always do my my encoding directly from Vegas as I have complete control over the finished product.

Quote:
I may start doing a bit of math for my Vegas template, make sure I'm doing as close to loss less for my long term storage as possible. Right now, I pass the clients their DVDs, then on USB they get mp4s and a VOB to make more DVDs if they want. For me, I'm storing mp4s and mpgs, but maybe that should be AVI to avoid loss.
The best long term storage is to keep the source footage and all your project files, graphics, music, etc. in one master folder on an external drive. Hard drives are so cheap these days that doing that is a very good method of backing up. A lot of users recommend having a second duplicate backup stored off site in case of fire, theft, etc. Only you can make that call but it is a good idea for anything critical.
Remember to exercise the externals at least once every 6 months (plug them in, power them up and try reading a few files) as hard drives have been known to go bad over time.
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #23
Trustee

My weddings each run 200-400 GB. I know hard drives are cheap, but that's 2 new drives a year, just for that privilege (since I double backup everything). Mostly, I just don't want to store that much long term. I currently have 4 large drives and usually keep original files for about 2 years. After that, when the space is needed for the 3rd wedding season, I clear them out and only have the final project files. My contract only promises 6 months of storage of the originals for them.

As for the Vegas/Architect bit, I've always done the work in Vegas and plan to... except for this ridiculous Catholic wedding with too much footage. I'm going to see what happens with the better Vegas render (8 bit) and then let Architect, who is redoing the file away, bring it down to the smaller file size.

This is the first project in... I don't know, a couple of years, where this has been an issue. I'm hoping it doesn't come up more than once a year, that's for sure. Glad I found that option in Architect, though.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...