Hardware to speed up Rendering?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Hardware to speed up Rendering??

May I know if there is any way rendering can be sped up besides upgrading PC specs? I have a 3GHz 1.5Gb Ram machine but it took me 2hrs to render a 6min video into mpeg2 DVD arch file!

I have seen many hardware solutions from canopus/pinnacle eg.. can such products work in tandam to compliment Vegas 6?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Major Player

It'll be important for everyone to know what, specifically, you were applying to the clips. For instance, if you are unhappy with you render times, there may be substitutions for the plugins. Magic Bullet (while the "Un-Bloom" preset is about the most filmic thing since a Bolex) is a notorious hog. Some native plugins in the right order might get you what you want.

Otherwise, you have very nice numbers, on average. Standard rendering should be quick. I have a highly optimized 1.6GHz, Pentium 4 with only 512 megs of ddram on my rendering network (that is unprofessionally slow and small, FYI) but I get similar results to those that you described. Of course, we are talking about many effects and a Magic Bullet plug on top.
DJ Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #3
Old Boot

Render Test Benchmarking for Vegas

DSE on his VASST site has several render tests to "benchmark" your own against some known variables.

Here is the VASST site: http://vasst.com

You may have to register, however, apart from these tests, registering is well worth it too! You WILL find a mass of other tools, ideas and general spiffing stuff!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

There are no specific "hardware solutions" to speed up rendering in Vegas. Naturally, the faster the machine, the faster the rendering will be. Also, the fewer effects you use, the faster the rendering will be. There are also a few "gotcha's" to watch out for. For example, accidentally reduce the "Levels" slider below 100% and every frame must be rendered. Use 3D Track Motion and it will affect the entire project (not just where that track is used). Magic Bullet is notoriously slow and the effects can be duplicated using the standard Vegas effects but will render much faster. Also, some effects are faster than others. As you can see, it's a very complicated answer.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Major Player

As a side note, if you do have a hardware renderer, you can frameserve an avi out of vegas to whatever you're using.
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Brabender
As a side note, if you do have a hardware renderer, you can frameserve an avi out of vegas to whatever you're using.
But Frameserving will send out the RENDERED video to the target app.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Trustee

Yeah,I have 3D track motion in there but no magic bullet.I think the motion blur also took some time.The benchmark at VASST should serve my purpose for a reference.Thanks guys!
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #8

Sean, make all 3D sections their own project. Then either render that out and add it to the final project or used nested VEG files to add the 3D section to the final project. Your rendering will go MUCH faster on all non-3D sections.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:18 PM   #9
Trustee

Good suggestion.Thanks Edward!
Old October 24th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

since it has been told many times it all depends on the CPU you have.
here is a benchmark comparing CPU performances for Mainconcept video encoding.

Pentium 4 570 goes to the top and in general Intel CPU's perform better compared to AMD's

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...