Vegas 13 and 4K video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas 13 and 4K video

Hi Guys

I often shoot in 4K now but render back to 1080 at weddings. The preview of the 3840x2160 timeline is really slow on my computer compared to 1080 timelines ... What is everyone using computer wise to handle a better preview with a 4K timeline. My i7 2600 just cannot handle the preview at all!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Vegas 13 and 4K video

Hi Chris,

I just upgraded my laptop from a 2011 model Sager to another Sager with following specs:

RAM: 32GB,
CPU: i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro K3100M
C drive: 500GB SSD
D drive: 2 7200RPM 1TB drive in striped array, for total of 2TB of data/video storage.

It scores a 7.6 in the Windows Experience Index. (not sure how useful that number is)

When working with UHD footage, I leave the preview set to Best (Full) 95% of the time. It will stutter on some clips, but most of the time it plays smooth. I think one thing that causes some slow down is when I crunch a UHD clip down so it plays back faster. Another thing I've learned about Vegas is when you use the stabilize effect, it acts on the entire clip, not only the little portion you have on the timeline. This has caused crashes on my older Sager from time to time, but now that I know about it, I render out the portion of the clip I want to use and bring it back into the project where I can then apply the stabilize effect and there's no problem. Some of my clips I was trying to stabilize were very long and it was just the UHD resolution ones that gave me grief.

I think the machine I have now will work for me, but if I could have spent a few more $$ I probably could have gotten a little more performance. I have edited some very high bit rate stuff off the FS7 and it was absolutely no problem, like 200-300Mbps clips.

Using a desktop machine is not practical for me at this time, as I am on the go too much.

Mark

Last edited by Mark Watson; September 23rd, 2015 at 07:46 AM.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Guys

I often shoot in 4K now but render back to 1080 at weddings. The preview of the 3840x2160 timeline is really slow on my computer compared to 1080 timelines ... What is everyone using computer wise to handle a better preview with a 4K timeline. My i7 2600 just cannot handle the preview at all!!

Chris
Just convert the 4K video files to proxy's, or else make Vegas convert them automaticly to proxy when importing the videofiles if you like that workflow...
When Vegas converts your videofiles to proxy's, I think Vegas downscales your files to 720p with a much lower bitrate, and of course to a different video codec...
If you'll find it hard to spot if your clip is in focus for example (because proxy files are kind of fuzzy/not sharp), you can change preview playback to preview - best or good - best or something... Sorry I havent editing for a long time now... Then Vegas will look at the original clip instead of the rendered proxy you made...

My i7 3770K 4.5GHz is just a little bit faster then yours, I can make movies really well, but when adding alot of FX to the clips, its starting to get stuttering playback. But if you use proxy's, life gets alot easier... =)
If you use alot of different 4K clips when editing, I recommend to put them on a SSD temporary when working with them. A regular HD will try to spinn like crazy keeping up with the bits laying around the whole disk.A SSD works differently. Its not mechanical.
Kim Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys

I don't want the hassles of proxy files so I'll wait until Intel come out with an i9 processor ..I wonder if that will actually happen?
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Trustee

of course it'll happen chris - but will it be fast enough for the 12k that comes out at the same time ;-)

i have to say i'm glad i'm out of the mainstream nowadays - i can see the advantages of shooting 4k for reframing purposes, but really, i can guarantee that not a single one of my clients would ever notice the difference on their hd screens, and even less so on a mobile device.

it's obvious that manufacturers can't simply tread water, they HAVE to keep developing products to sell. whether we NEED these new products is debatable.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Leslie

Probably right and with weddings I doubt if brides could even care if the video is in SD ..For them a DVD is easier to play and more familiar!

This was the main reason - chroma subsampling

Chris
Old September 23rd, 2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Trustee

thanks chris - most informative...

IF i was producing for projection, tele-wildlife, scientific or other specialized areas i'm sure 4k would be of great benefit. as it is, like your bride, my corporate clients really don't seem to care as long as it looks 'good' and that good even includes dvd.

i had a play with some 4k footage - yes, it is spectacular (especially on my wqhd monitor), and yes, i can see the difference in quality on a hd panel too - BUT, i tested it on a few friends recently (on the hd screen) and they were 'meh', it's better but who cares?

perhaps when 4k tv's are as prevalent as hd, and people no longer judge a picture in relation to that from a dvd, there will be a need to produce in 4k - but what are we then going to do about reframing!!!!????.
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I use an i7 3930k overclocked to 4.0 and it does very well on multicamera edits with two lines of 4k and another line or two of HD. 32GB of ram.

Your 2600 just doesn't have the speed, apparently.

My understanding is that with Vegas, preview capability is dependent on processor speed, not RAM or number of cores. Rendering speed, on the other hand is dependent on # of cores and processor speed.

You would do very well with something like this, it's 4.0 out of the box and it's unlocked!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819117559

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...