DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Smoothing out keyframe transition effects (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/530579-smoothing-out-keyframe-transition-effects.html)

Renton Maclachlan December 7th, 2015 11:57 PM

Smoothing out keyframe transition effects

Ok...so I set out keyframes down an event...and the results of doing this occurs on straight lines between the keyframes.

I presume you can produce effects that move on a curve so as to smooth out any transition between keyframe lines.

If so, how is this done?

Graham Bernard December 8th, 2015 12:27 AM

Re: Smoothing out keyframe transition effects

Renton, need more info from you?

A] Is it you have two Events with an overlap of say 1 second and you have added a Transition?

B] If A] is correct what Transition have you added?

A ScreenGrab of your Transition wold help.

G

Ian Stark December 8th, 2015 01:10 AM

Are you trying to get the changes in the effect you've applied to ease in and then ease out, ie gently accelerate in then slow down at the end? If so, look at changing your key frame type to smooth.

Graham Bernard December 8th, 2015 02:34 AM

Subject to your answers to my questions, and notwithstanding the previous post, if it is about Transition rates of change, you can add a Transition envelop and add POINTS with a lot of control.

G

Ian Stark December 8th, 2015 03:07 AM

And that is a hugely powerful tool!

Renton Maclachlan December 9th, 2015 02:56 AM

Sorry to be slow getting back to you both...

Graham...I'm not referring to a 'transition' between events, I'm talking about changing from a line between keyframes to a different line when moving on to the next keyframe.

I see now there are a various options re keyframes in the right click menu and note that I have only ever been using the 'linear'. Looking at the other options - smooth sharp slow etc, I realise that I don't know what they mean. Smooth sounds like what I'm after...that there is a curve from say keyframe 1 to keyframe 2 which at keyframe 2 is determined by a/the curve from keyframe 2 to keyframe 3...and visa versa.

With 'linear' if there is a change of direction at keyframe 2, then the change is abrupt. I want it smoothed out, not abrupt. I would quite like to be able to 'see' the 'path' between keyframes so as to adjust them if required...

Graham Bernard December 9th, 2015 04:26 AM

Download VP13 Manual here and then got to page 295.

There is an extensive description and graphical depiction of the the Rates of Change. Just what you are asking for.

G

Christopher Young December 9th, 2015 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan (Post 1904864)
...that there is a curve from say keyframe 1 to keyframe 2 which at keyframe 2 is determined by a/the curve from keyframe 2 to keyframe 3...and visa versa.

You are on the right track Renton. Play around with those right click options and you will get different results. Just be careful of frame edges as some of those options will impart a curved trajectory between points and if you are making moves with nearly full frame crops you will sometimes find that the move will push our past the edge of your frame and then back in again. We call it the Sony S bend.

See the graphic below. This can all be found under Keyframe Animation under the Vegas Help file dialogue.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Mike Kujbida December 10th, 2015 10:51 AM

Renton, this is an old video but still applicable even today.