Multi-Monitor problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Multi-Monitor problem

When I edit multi-cam projects, I usually have my 2nd monitor set to display the "take" at full screen. When I tried to do this with my latest project, the quad view on my main monitor flickers in and out and the external monitor is frozen.

Any ideas what could be causing this? This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Everything is set up the exact same way it was before. There was a new radeon driver from ATI. Thinking that may be the culprit, I rolled back the video driver to the version I was using before. The issue is still there. I may have to completely remove my display driver using the radeon driver cleaner and reinstall from scratch, but before I tried that, i wanted to see if there's anything else that could be causing it.

Really frustrating since it worked perfectly the last few projects.

here is a video:

Thanks!
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Multi-Monitor problem

Nobody?

Sony Forums aren't very helpful either. Hoping I don't need to do a clean install.
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jeremiah,

I'd try reinstalling the drivers from scratch. There might be some outdated component software still on the system.

I remember having this sort of problem when I used to have a Geforce card on my system (GTX590).
I have a Radeon now, but try updating the graphics drivers from scratch to see if it solves the issue.

Which Ati card do you have? I have the 290x.

Regards,

Bryan
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeah, graphic drivers, the card over heating, something like that. Replace the card and see if it fixes the problem if all else fails.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 12:40 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Quarrie View Post
Hi Jeremiah,

I'd try reinstalling the drivers from scratch. There might be some outdated component software still on the system.

I remember having this sort of problem when I used to have a Geforce card on my system (GTX590).
I have a Radeon now, but try updating the graphics drivers from scratch to see if it solves the issue.

Which Ati card do you have? I have the 290x.

Regards,

Bryan
Thanks for the response. I have the R9 Fury X card. I don't know if ATI makes a complete uninstall tool any more, but I will look. I would rather not have to purge the registry for example.

Just frustrates me that I had gotten to where I could multi-cam edit really fast using that feature only to have it break, hehe.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:20 AM   #6
Major Player

One more note, if I have the quad-view going to the external monitor, it works perfectly. If I am in a single-cam project and click the external monitor it works perfectly. It's only when I'm doing multi-cam and try to check the full take option that the quad view starts flickering and the full frame take freezes. (however, if I pause the video, and advance frame by frame for example, it works!)

Just crazy.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:42 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:

One more note, if I have the quad-view going to the external monitor, it works perfectly. If I am in a single-cam project and click the external monitor it works perfectly. It's only when I'm doing multi-cam and try to check the full take option that the quad view starts flickering and the full frame take freezes. (however, if I pause the video, and advance frame by frame for example, it works!)

I would also try defragging the drive where the video files are kept. This should improve the preview quality and hopefully minimize the flickering in multi-edit mode too.
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM   #8
Major Player

It's not that kind of flickering. The playback is perfectly smooth at Best (Full) no matter what configuration I'm using, but as soon as I want to full screen the multi-camera take, the quad-view starts flashing and the full screen freezes.

My main monitor is HDMI and my 2nd monitor is off one of the Display ports, I wonder if it would be worth swapping them around. Hmm.
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Major Player

I've tried several iterations of connections and the problem persists.

My video card has 4 DisplayPorts and one HDMI. It came with a DisplayPort to DVI adapter as well, so I originally had my primary monitor on HDMI and the secondary monitor (which has a DVI port) connected to the adapter. That worked perfectly for several projects. I have tried swapping which monitor is primary and which is secondary, I have used HDMI to DVI adapters instead. The only thing I lack is a monitor with a displayport, which will probably be my next purchase. Getting any support from Sony seems pointless, and the manufacturer of my video card primarly deals with gamers, so they probably won't be of much help either, but I did file at ticket with them just in case.
Old February 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #10
Old Boot

Can you confirm that ALL the 4 streams are using the same CODEC? Are you using 3 different camera feeds? If this is the case it could be something as simple as converting ALL the media to the same Format.

You have your Preview on BEST too.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 01:28 AM   #11
Major Player

They are all AVCHD except for one, which is an M2T from my FIreStore.

I have used these same cameras for many shoots, and never had this problem before. I had edited three projects with this very computer and was excited that I'd finally built a computer that could preview on Best/Full without dropping frames.

Then suddenly with my next project the problem started. It took me a week of google-fu and hard work to get this system running (I wanted to do a windows 7 install from a thumb drive onto an m.2 drive, and I had to jump through a lot of flaming hoops to get it running. That's what I get for being an early adopter though).

I am hesitant to wipe the thing and start over, but that may be my only solution.
Old February 11th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #12
Major Player

Well, before the big wipe I decided to try ONE MORE THING, ha ha. I installed my old copy Vegas, version 12.0, and multi monitor worked perfectly!

That means it's something to do with Vegas 13. I may just re-install Vegas 13 and see if that fixes it.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...