VEGAS Pro 14 Review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Sponsor: JET DV

VEGAS Pro 14 Review

What's New in VEGAS Pro 14 at DV Info Net
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: VEGAS Pro 14 Review

Thanks for summarizing the changes. I still haven't received my serial, so I've been playing around with the 30 day trial version.

Vegas still seems to inefficiently use system resources for driving the preview windows. I still get dropped frames despite a very fast computer system.

I could not find the GPU check tab in the rendering settings to confirm OpenCL compatibility with my GPU. Some people have tested V14 vs V13 and found it rendered slower in cases where GPU acceleration would normally have helped. I asked about continued OpenCL compatibility both on their forums and with their Tech Support months ago when they first announced the $199 promotion, and I never received an answer. Forums question remained unanswered, and Tech Support told me they did not know the answer.

I cannot load large V13 projects into V14. My multi-cam projects stall at 4% when loading and I'm forced to end the process in the task manager. (i.e. cancelling the background operation does not work).

When starting a new project, and adding the four video clips from the same multi-cam project, I was moving them around trying to get them in sync and V14 crashed. I tried this several times with the same result.

Anyway, so far, I'm not overly impressed, but admittedly I'm using the demo. My system specs:

Intel i7-5930k
64gb RAM
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
Vegas Installed on a 1TB SSD Raid.
Windows 7 Pro X64
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Jeremiah,

Your computer specs do look powerful enough. I'm hoping it's just something with the trial version. Should have gotten the serial number immediately after the purchase, wonder what's up with that?

I've just completed a short project on v13 and had just one crash in the past 6 months. I'm about to start a big editing project and would like to go with v14 from start to finish. I hope somebody can post positive reviews soon. I'll probably pull the trigger regardless TBH.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, V13 works beautifully for me. I know it's considered to be somewhat buggy, but other than our old friend the preview window, I find I can still quickly and efficiently knock out multi-cam events in just a few days.

Anyway, I hope there is just some configuration issue or setting in the preferences that is different that's causing the ruckus. Hopefully we'll get our serials for the full version soon.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 10:49 PM   #5
Trustee

am somewhat underwhelmed with what i've read about 14.
13 has been working fairly well and to be honest i'm not willing to shell out anything for a bunch of bug fixes - what i expected at a minimum was some attention to the pathetic state of gpu implementation as a first step, and whilst i applaud the introduction of READ ONLY prores, that's not enough...

it looks like i'll stick with my present workflow of fast cutting with vegas 13 and finishing with resolve. should magix bring 15 up to speed then i might have a look at it, but by that time i think with their present updating bm's resolve might well take over as my all in one nle....
Old September 22nd, 2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hoping for native DNxHD/DNxHR MXF and DNxHD/DNxHR MOV reading support. Since they've splintered from Sony, this might be the best chance to implement native Panasonic P2 support without Raylight. P2 in Vegas is impossible without transcoding, and those options are very limited on PC.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Seems that there's a Boris FX bundle with Vegas Pro 14

https://borisfx.com/blogs/news/boris...s-pro-14-suite
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Trustee

My first impression is one of disappointment with the clarity of the
icons on the top of the page. They are nowhere as clear as v13.
Also, when running the programme with dual monitors and having saved and named the dual setting, it didn't remember the setting when re-opening a project.
Another complaint is when I select the full screen preview from either trimmer or programme window, the image only fills about two thirds of the monitor!
I really didn't expect v14 to be so buggy. V13 is so much clearer and cleaner to work with.
I've been using Resolve 12.5 more and more, so I'm starting to regret having paid for this upgrade.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Trustee

+1 robin's observations
Old September 23rd, 2016, 07:57 AM   #10
New Boot

I'd really be curious to see of the MP4/AVC render quality issue has been addressed. It would be nice not to have to pipe it out to Handbrake in order to get good MP4 output. 13 has been pretty solid overall, but many of us have been waiting for this to be resolved.

A bit disappointed that Vegas has yet to adopt the standard dark gray interface as most every other NLE uses. Or is there finally an option for this?
Joe Mizera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

From what I've read from this thread and other threads, I wonder if Magix just completed some of the problems Sony had been sitting on for years and called it a new version. I hope not. I know I sound like pessimistic Pete, but I really expected Majix to bring the Majic. Not just fulfill a wishlist of complaints.
Old September 27th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #12
Inner Circle

It does take a reasonable amount of time to develop a new version of a NLE, especially if it involves major changes. I suspect Vegas users may be expecting a little too much from Magix if Sony hasn't been putting reasonable effort into Vegas over the last year or so. Given the timescale, they may have been doing organizational changes and more or less beta testing V14 since the take over.
Old September 27th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
It does take a reasonable amount of time to develop a new version of a NLE, especially if it involves major changes. I suspect Vegas users may be expecting a little too much from Magix if Sony hasn't been putting reasonable effort into Vegas over the last year or so. Given the timescale, they may have been doing organizational changes and more or less beta testing V14 since the take over.

I agree Brian. I for one feel 199.00 for bug fixes is a bit much. Magix should have taken into account the years of lamentations from so many faithful Vegas users and offered the bug fixes at a much smaller cost as a way to increase loyalty, better PR for sure. I still feel Sony pretty much sat on Vegas without much design innovation dragging us all along with new packaging for 199.00 an update each year. I know people much smarter than I am disagree with me, but that's been my decade of interaction with Sony. Magix's introduction to us users, feels very Sonyish.

But certainly, if Magix remake large portions of Vegas then sure, price it accordingly. This is why I usually updated Sony Vegas ever third version, I'd wait for 'have to' or significant updates.
Old September 28th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Well, perhaps V13.5 since there is a bit more than bug fixes.
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #15
New Boot

Can VEGAS Pro 14 generate DCPs? Both encrypted and non encrypted. Davinci Resolve does it with the help of a plugin provided by EasyDcp.I'd love to see GPU based DCP generation in VEGAS.
Nimesh Shrestha is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...