Audio recording causing crashes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 5th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Audio recording causing crashes

Since moving to Vegas Pro 14 I have been unsuccessful in recording a voiceover directly into Vegas. To be more accurate I can record the audio, but as soon as I right-click it on the timeline Vegas crashes.

Don't right click it, I hear you cry! Well, quite, except that I record in mono to the left channel only and need to right-click/channels/both in order for it to play back through both channels.

A couple of times, while recording the audio Vegas actually crashed fully, giving me the 'stopped working' message. What happens when I right-click is Vegas stops responding and the blue wheel spins.

To make sure I wasn't doing anything dumb (it is the first job of the year!) I went through the same process without any problem using the last build of VP13.

Anybody else able to reproduce this?

I'm now on VP14 build 211, but this was the case with the previous build as well. I'm recording through a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 at 44.1/16 (tried it at 48/16 as well - same thing). Windows 10, fully updated. Audio drivers are the latest as well.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Audio recording causing crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Don't right click it, I hear you cry!
Not necessarily, but I hope you save everything before that right click.

As a workaround, I would export all the sound as a .wav file, import that to Audacity convert it to stereo, save that as .wav and import the stereo to Vegas as a replacement of the existing soundtrack.

Also, you should fill out the form at https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form, so they know the problem exists and can fix it.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Adam. Absolutely I'm saving it :-)

Rather than a long winded conversion workaround I'm just reverting to VP13 which works fine. The only thing that really appeals to me in VP14 is the prores support, since I record video to a Samurai Blade. Other than that there didn't appear to be anything especially exciting about the first Magix release.

Re reporting it to Magix, thanks for the link. I'm hoping that the countless crash reports with my added notes and project files are also getting to them.
Old January 5th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Re: Audio recording causing crashes - SOLVED

. . . .although the solution is disappointing :-(

I uninstalled and reinstalled Vegas. Didn't resolve the issue at all. It crashed out to Windows once and stopped responding twice.

I decided instead to try and work out why the VP14 boot time was taking so long (per my other thread today). I had noticed that I was getting a notification on booting into Vegas that the demo of Vegasaur v3 I had been trialling had just expired. I had planned to get to the end of the trial then buy it, specifically for the excellent Titles & Text function. I wondered whether the boot delay was caused by Vegasaur calling home to say it had expired. I decided to uninstall it to test the theory. It had no effect on the boot up time but out of sheer curiosity I thought I would try recording some audio again.

It worked without a hitch - three times in a row. Right-clicking did not cause any problem.

Given that the trial expired I assume I am unable to reinstall the demo of Vegasaurus again so I have no way of reproducing the problem. I'm fairly certain that I didn't experience this problem when the trial was active, but then I'm not 100% sure I did a lot of Vegas work during that period. Also, I upgraded to build 211 a few days ago - perhaps that had an effect.The only Vegasaur function I really wanted to test was the Titles & Text piece (which did exactly what I wanted - shame it doesn't come as a standalone plugin, as all the other utilities I regularly use are in Excalibur).

However, it's knocked my confidence about Vegasaur 3's compatibility with VP14. How are other people getting on with it? Anyone else using a trial version and getting to the end of it? I'd be interested to know if you experience any issues.

I'll notify the good people at Vegasaur to let them know.
Old January 5th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Re reporting it to Magix, thanks for the link.
You’re most welcome.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...