Google Videos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 30th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
charles, xvid and divx are not legal mpeg4 formats... google will not accept either one of 'em... you have to use the real open-source mpeg4 video format, period... or else mpeg2.
The "real" and "legal" format?

Divx and Xvid are just as "real" as any of the other MPEG4 codecs, and Xvid is definately open source, and even has open source encoders/decoders, which makes it more open source than many others. And the fact is, if you use the most basic baseline MPEG4 features in either of those codecs (but the advanced features in these codecs make them even better), they'll play on virtually any MPEG4 decoder.

Just because they aren't accepted by Google doesn't mean they aren't "real" and "legal" (whatever that's supposed to mean) MPEG4 codecs. They certainly are. The bottom line is MPEG4 is a mess right now, and it will be for a while longer, but you make it seem like these two codecs are illegal or not up to the standard or something, which is not correct, it depends on what advanced features are used or not (which is also true for other flavors of MPEG4 that go beyond the baseline).
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:51 PM   #17
Trustee

bill, real iso mpeg4 is NOT a mess, it's been around for years, it's a true open-source *standard* from a sanctioning body, with no confusion about the licensing rights... that's why google is using it.

the mess came about when everyone started hacking it up to suit their own purposes... pirate formats like xvid are not in the same category as real mpeg4, which is why google does not accept 'em.

end of story.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:09 AM   #18

Looks pretty good Brian, thanks for sharing it. When you gonna finish your feature?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM   #19
Major Player

DSE,

Thanks as always for the kind comments. The feature is still trudging along in Post Production, with a goal to begin showing it in early 2006, but in the meantime, this music video has opened up some doors which may lead to a very interesting project. I'll keep you posted if something develops.

Brian

Last edited by Brian Mitchell Warshawsky; November 1st, 2005 at 10:56 AM.
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
pirate formats like xvid are not in the same category as real mpeg4, which is why google does not accept 'em. end of story.
You come off as very condescending on this topic, not sure why you feel the need to be that way, but whatever...

First of all, what is a "Pirate" format anyway? Never heard of a pirate codec, but it sounds kind of fun whatever it is. Maybe that represents your own personal opinion of the codec, but that's all it represents, so you might want to tone down your retoric a little. There are perfectly legitimate uses for a codec like Xvid or Divx, the later of which is being integrated into numerous hardware players by very well-known and legitimate companies. So, I'm not sure what you're getting at with that, but I'm not buying it.

Secondly, Xvid is fully capable of producing an ISO compliant MPEG4 stream (it's also capable of producing a non-compliant stream too, but that's only if you use the advanced features). So, in your own words, I might add... "End of story." You might want to check your facts on that one. Feel free to search google on "xvid mpeg4 iso compliant" for more info.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM   #21
Trustee

bill, i can see that you are upset because google won't accept your pet codecs... why don't you take it up with them directly, on their official google video usenet group? i posted the link earlier in this thread.

perhaps they will clarify for you some important legal concepts, like patents, standards bodies, licensing, etc: "Some of these features are believed to be covered by software patents in a number of countries (notably United States and Japan). Because of this, XviD 0.9.x versions were not licensed in countries where these type of patents are enforceable. With the 1.0.x releases, a plain GNU GPL v2 license is used with no explicit geographical restriction. However the legal usage of XviD may still be restricted by local laws." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XviD
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
bill, i can see that you are upset because google won't accept your pet codecs... why don't you take it up with them directly, on their official google video usenet group? i posted the link earlier in this thread.
Who ever said anything about me wanting to or trying to submit videos to Google? If I wanted to submit a video to Google, Archive.org, or any other institution for that matter, I'd submit it in the format they require -- it's their bandwidth, therefore you play by their rules. My comments were never about that, they were a rebutal to your posts related to Divx and Xvid, which I see now have turned towards some so called patents that "may" be infringed on in "some" other countries (as if our own country doesn't have enough patent disputes of its own), and away from your comments about how Xvid doesn't produce ISO compliant MPEG4... But, whatever, my main point is every codec has its place, and calling Xvid and Dvix "pirate" codecs that are "illegal" is just plain silly. But to each his own.
Old November 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder
Just because they aren't accepted by Google doesn't mean they aren't "real" and "legal" (whatever that's supposed to mean) MPEG4 codecs. They certainly are.
they certainly are NOT legal mpeg4 codecs, as i just proved... what part of "the legal usage of XviD may still be restricted by local laws" do you not understand?

i don't think that you should be allowed to use this forum to promote the use of illegal software.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...