Vegas Pro 14 crash: "an error occurred opening the media file" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 9th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Vegas Pro 14 crash: "an error occurred opening the media file"

Has anyone else gotten this error message after rendering a file? I just started using Pro 14 last month after 4 years of using Vegas Pro 11. This error message appears after I render a project, it's always the first video clip in the project media bin that it's looking for, and when I re-link the file the software crashes. Works fine after restarting, but the same thing happens every time I render a file.

I'm using a purpose-built Core 3.4ghz i7 Dell XPS 8700 with a 240GB SSD for the OS & software, a separate internal 1TB HD for video files, 24GB or RAM, 600W power supply, AMD Radeon R9 290 video card, running Windows 10.

Thoughts?

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas Pro 14 crash: "an error occurred opening the media file"

Not exactly the same, but I think when I was on Vegas 11, I had a render that repeatedly crashed on a single jpeg I had on my timeline. I take it out, the render goes through, I put it in, the render crashes. So I took that jpeg, made it a png and it went through fine.

I also had a render crash that only went away when I copied the entire project to a different drive. I don't know if it was bad sectors or what, but moving the project, all 120 gig of it to a new drive fixed it.

Just my 2cents.
Old August 9th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Steven, but I don't have an issue with the render - it works fine. It's what happens after the render is complete ... so I'm guessing it's a different issue.
Old August 9th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No worries. Over the past 12 years of my vegas use, I'm a literal catalog of strange Vegas Issues. Most of them forever listed in infamy on this site. :}
Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:03 PM   #5
Major Player

UPDATE: This is crazy ya'll. I figured out the source of the crash. It's the progress/dialog box that appears during rendering. Purely BY ACCIDENT I checked the "close this dialog box when rendering completes" box, and POOF - no more crashes after rendering a file.

What on earth could be the connection here?

Sam
Old August 22nd, 2017, 08:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

File it under Area 15 of Sony Vegas crashes. Something that makes no legitimate sense.
Old August 25th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #7
Trustee

HAAA my Vegas Pro 14 crashes if I try to export to many video clips into the timeline. I have to break it down to about 6 clips at a time. Go figure!!!!
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...