Anyone using Pavtube Video Converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using Pavtube Video Converter?

I want to convert my 4K mov videos to avi. I am filming using a phantom 4 pro drone and editing in Vegas. Suggestions for converting files to ahi?

Is Pavtube Video Converter good?
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Anyone using Pavtube Video Converter?

I don't have any direct experience with Pavtube, but I distrust all such video converters. Over the years, I've been burned a few times when I've tried to use them. "Burned" meaning it doesn't work, seems to be a vehicle for malware, includes its own non-standard codecs that overwrite your good ones, or just looks sketchy. Again, I've never looked at Pavtube - it may be great for all I know.

A problem for Vegas on Windows users is that Apple discontinued Quicktime for Window a few years ago.

Magix responded with their own QT decoder, and it's a needed function. Are you using current Vegas? If so your problem may be solved.

Good alternatives would include conversion on a Mac, probably to something other than AVI, say, DNxHD, or, a high bitrate h.264/MP4.

Or, on a PC, it may be that the freeware version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve will convert it. If so, that would be a very good choice.
Old October 17th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #3
Trustee

I’ve purchased and used iSkysoft video converter for when I need odd format conversions. It also converts my H.265 DJI files to ProRes or whatever else you might prefer. For the price, it’s been pretty solid over the years, and I don’t THINK it’s given me any viruses. Also let’s you rip YouTube videos...
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I thought I would give folks an update. I purchased Pavtube video converter. I was also using Adobe Premier 2017 CC to convert to AVI but I had to do it one file at a time, too time consuming. Anyways, I am pleased with Pavtube, is converting my Drone MOV 4K files which was the problem.

I am using an older version of Vegas and it prefers AVI vs MOV or MP4 which freeze up the PC. For the record I got an intel i7 chip, 8 gb of ram 64 bit.

PS: Seth, no, I am using Vegas Platinum 9. I love it but maybe I should upgrade to the most current version of "Pro"? Do you think it would convert my files and/or deal with them within Vegas Pro 14 or 15? What other advantages would I get with upgrading? Sell me on some bells and whistles of it because I really like the Vegas Platinum 9. Thanks for input!
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...