Wrong White Balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 16th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wrong White Balance

I accidentally used the wrong white balance setting on a bunch of clips with from my Sony Handycam (XR500). It was set to Outdoor when I was shooting Indoor. Is there a simple way to correct this in Vegas?
Brad Ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Wrong White Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ridgeway View Post
I accidentally used the wrong white balance setting. Is there a simple way to correct this in Vegas?
Well, there are several places/Levels you can apply ANY FX - Media or Event or Track or Preview. In this scenario apply the CC to the Preview Window. This will apply the CC Globally - done. Or if ALL your Media is on the same Track then try Track Level. I think at Media Level it could get messy and tedious. But you could try. At Event you could try Paste Event Attributes. Copy from a Corrected Event, Select Events and then Paste Event Attributes.

Now, the actual correction you’re going to get is something you’re going to judge. If you post here a sample Still of the Media I can give you my version. Up to you.

Last edited by Graham Bernard; September 17th, 2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added extra method.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Graham. This was from a 3-camera wedding shoot and the affected shots are just from one camera and specifically from the "bride getting ready" part of the shoot (my inexperienced wife was operating that camera and did not realize the white balance was set to outdoor when shooting inside). There are quite a few clips but I am thinking that if I can get one corrected then I can copy and paste the correction to the rest like you mentioned since all the footage is from the same setting.

I am just getting started on the editing. I don't have any experience using color correction and similar tools in Vegas but I will give it a try myself and if I am having a hard time I will post a still for you to help with. Thanks for that offer!
Brad Ridgeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ridgeway View Post
I don't have any experience using color correction and similar tools in Vegas but I will give it a try myself and if I am having a hard time I will post a still for you to help with. Thanks for that offer!
Well, it can be daunting. Do try first, unless it is very out of whack, it should be doable. However, if the internal shots have variable artificial lighting, which can drive you nutz, it does take some careful wrangling. Of course, there is another, creative approach which you may wish to contemplate 🤔.

There are many many approaches to this. It’s an opportunity to experiment.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #5
Trustee

If you want very powerful white balance correction but with fine subtle adjustment use the "Channel Blend" plugin.

Select and add this from your Video Event FX. Once this is applied to a clip hover your cursor between the up down arrows on the FOURTH row of boxes on the color you want to add or subtract. If your image is too blue then this would be the blue adjustment box, third row down, and then adjust blue to the minus value. How you do it is to hover your mouse between the little up/down arrows on your selected color. Doing that you will see two horizontal lines appear. Now hold down the CTRL button and the the LEFT mouse button. While holding down the CTRL and LEFT mouse button push your mouse up and down to increase or decrease the color value of your chosen color. By adding and subtracting values carefully in the RGB boxes, the top three boxes in the fourth row, you can dial in a near perfect white balance.

You can of course apply the Channel Blend in your Project Media pool by right clicking on a clip and selecting "Media FX" and apply your color correction there. Doing it this way any clip selected from that particular media will have that correction already applied to the clip when it is added to the timeline. Copy Paste Attributes is then not required.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Wrong White Balance-channel-blend-02.jpg  
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...