Thinking of upgrading to Canon XF705 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 30th, 2019, 05:58 AM   #1
Trustee

Thinking of upgrading to Canon XF705

I have been a Vegas user since version 5 and I am now up to version Pro 16. I am thinking of upgrading to the new Canon XF705 however in order to shoot 4K in must use the new format H.265. Does anyone know if Vegas will upgrade their editing software to support H.265?
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Thinking of upgrading to Canon XF705

Hi Bob,

As you have Vegas Pro 16 (the latest build is 361), I assume you have downloaded some sample XF705 HEVC footage to test in VP16 and found it didn't work. I don't have any test footage so I certainly don't know, but I also assume you wouldn't be asking if it worked.

From what I have read VP16 will read h265 420 8 bit, and some h265 10 bit if it is in an mov container.

I doubt anyone will know when Magix will incorporate native support for Canon's XF-Hevc until they release it, of course except those within Magix and they aren't going to spill the beans until they are sure they can implement it and get it released.

Until then, I think you are stuck with transcoding to something like ProRes HQ or DNxHR which you can use within VP16.

Sorry I cannot be of any help!
Old January 30th, 2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

According to this thread on the MAGIX Vegas forum you're out of luck until Canon gets their act together.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.in...ro-16--114363/
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Trustee

Thank you for getting back to me. At this point I was only "thinking" of upgrading to the XF705. I have been using the XF300 for 6 years and still love the video that it produces. So, since there really isn't anyway to edit the H.265 format, other than going to Resolve of doing a lot of decoding/recoding mumbo jumbo I will stick with what I have. IF at some point I am forced to upgrade due to a total breakdown of my XF300, and Vegas hasn't come up with a way to decode H.265, then I may look at shooting in 1080 H.264 rather than 4K until Vegas gets its act together. I love Canon and don't want to go with another brand, nor do I want to go with the C200 because I have no desire to use CFast cards.

Last edited by Bob Safay; January 31st, 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 01:28 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
I have been using the XF300 for 6 years and still love the video that it produces..
Bob thanks for that and... “Me Too!”. Currently I don’t have a Business Plan/Model requiring, forcing me to UG to the XF700. Plus - thanks Bob - the thought of retraining my NLE VP creativity around Resolve makes my 21 Century brain power wanna barf. I’ve been reading the Resolve Forum lately....

Yup, staying with my rock solid 1080 XF300, if I need to dabble my toes in 4K I’ll hirer one out. But presently? Not so much.
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

(Sorry, not NLE related)

What I loved most about the XF300 was that beautiful 18x lens that opened up to f/1.6 at full wide and ramped down only to f/2.8 at full telephoto. That's gone now on the XF700, due to the physics of sensor size (1/3rd inch before vs. one-inch now).

The XF700 is f/2.8 to f/4.5, which isn't bad at all, but I sure loved that fat max. ap. on the old XF300.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Trustee

Chris, I think I would also miss the 18X reach on the XF300 compared to the 15X on the XF705. IF I ever bought the 705 I would probably have to buy the 1.5 tele extender. Or, go with the C200. One other thing that I think about is the fact that I travel to Africa, South America and points in-between videoing wildlife. I then post the videos on Vimeo and offer my fellow travelers either a DVD or Blu-ray. Less than half of them even have a Blu-ray player! So is 4K really worth it at this time? Fortunately, my XF300 is alive and well and still producing fantastic video.

Last edited by Bob Safay; February 6th, 2019 at 04:53 PM.
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...