What about this workflow for Vegas? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Trustee

i believe there are some color differences between DV&HDV files.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #17

There indeed is a difference in colorspace. ITU 601 for DV and ITU 709 for HD. Not huge differences, but different enough that it counts.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
david,

re: swapping. if you're regularly edit 1 source file, then by all means swap one file. but when you work with more than 1 source file, that's where gearshift comes in handy.

how does gearshift make it easier? an example is that i had 15 .m2t files and they all had to go into the same timeline. now imagine what you're doing for 1 multiplied by 15 multiplied by the color correction ya gotta do between SD&HDV. i think it does more, but you can check the link at the bottom of DSE&john's sig.

so, YMMV. work with many HDV clips, gearshift helps you. work with 1, by all means, experiment =).
I'm glad I read this thread. I was having problems understanding why anyone would ever want gearshift. The reason why is I am always using only one video source file. However, that will change later on this spring when I will be doing a couple of childrens theater videos along with another one that will have quite a number source clips.

So I may very well need gearshift later on. I do wish the benfits of gearshift were more clearly explained in the ads for it.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
Danny Fye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #19
Regular Crew

So does Gearshift automatically correct the colour of the DV proxy as it makes it? How much difference are we talking about? I'm hoping to use the DV file rendered by Vegas to make an SD DVD. Am I likely to see a big colour difference between this and the finished HDV project?

Thanks
David Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM   #20
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tyler
So does Gearshift automatically correct the colour of the DV proxy as it makes it? How much difference are we talking about?
GearShift only applies this colorspace correction for Vegas 5 users. Vegas 6 handles the conversion automatically so Vegas 6 users will find this option grayed out. If you are using GearShift with Vegas 5 you have the option to not apply it (i.e., turn it off), or apply it pre render or post render. With the pre render option it gets burned into the rendered DV file. With the post render option the render is done without the filter and then the filter is applied as an FX so you can remove it manually if you want later. The correction is subtle and GearShift gives you total control over it.

~jr
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:27 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
So does Gearshift automatically correct the colour of the DV proxy as it makes it? How much difference are we talking about? I'm hoping to use the DV file rendered by Vegas to make an SD DVD. Am I likely to see a big colour difference between this and the finished HDV project?

Thanks
I do exactly what you do to get to SD DVD. But I don't swap any AVI back to M2T. The documentation says this is not necessary and that the final result will be seamless. And I have to admit, I cannot tell a difference at all. I do though render a final M2T of the project and print to HDV tape as well for backup puposes - even if I plan to go to SD DVD. That way, I will have the project in HD for hopefully authoring to HDVD someday....

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Not sure I understand you Phil. Do you mean that you don't use the replace function to change the avi to m2t? If not, how do you render a high def image to tape?

The one thing I am thinking of experimenting with is doing the render to SD DVD after I've done the replace (using the m2t) rather than using the avi to get to SD DVD. Don't know if there will be any quality difference though.
David Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Not sure I understand you Phil. Do you mean that you don't use the replace function to change the avi to m2t? If not, how do you render a high def image to tape?
David - When you bring the M2T into your timeline - save as Video for Windows - Intermediate 60I format. The cineform intermediate AVI file that is created is large but editable. When you PRINT TO HD TAPE later, the renders are performed and the project goes back to mini-dv tape in High Def 60i format. No swap is necessary because you're using the intermediate Cineform file. Vegas figures it out somehow. And, when you print to HD Tape, you have the option of SAVING the newly rendered HD project as an M2T file. This way you will have a copy on tape and a copy on disc for later use either to print to tape again (w/o the rendering) or author to HD-DVD once all those issues are worked out.

I see no difference in the quality on this. The HD image on my 62" DLP looks great!

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Ah, I see. You're using the Cineform intermediate. I don't think my computer is powerful enough to be able to edit this properly, (wouldn't run smoothly in the preview screen) so that's why I've stuck with the proxy method and the replace function, which I have to say works quickly and efficiently. I've just replaced 1hr 45mins of edited avi on the timeline (3 tapes worth and hundreds of cuts - poss over 1000) and it did this in a couple of minutes.

I'm very pleased with this software now I understand the quirks. I'd still like to be able to see the original date and time of the clips on the timeline though!

David
David Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...