24p Basics: A Vegas Tutorial Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 24th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #16
Wrangler

Dave thanks for the contribution.

What about converting your 60i footage to 24p in post. I recently completed a piece where the talking heads didn't quite match the rest of the (slow motion) footage. I'm assuming because the interpolation that occurs when you slow clips down cause it to take ona slightly less polished look. Anytime it would cut to a talking head (w/o slo motion) it stood out like a sore thumb.

I've been experimenting with converting the piece to 24p which does seem to make the talking heads portion match the rest of the piece. I don't however know if I'm using the correct/best way of converting 60i to 24p.
- I ediit all my 60i footage in a 60i timeline
- Then I simply use a 24p (2-3 pulldown) template when rendering out to MPG2

Is this correct or do I have to change the project and/or individual event settings to a 24p preset as well.

Also what about a workflow that requires you to render various portions out to DV-AVI first, then assembling the DV-AVI pieces in a complete timeline before going out to MPG2. In this case should the first render (DV-AVI) be rendered to 24p (inserting 2-3) be used. Or should standard 60i DV-AVI be selected...and only 24p setting on output on the second render to MPG2.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Glen, I think it is a best practice to edit your 60i footage in a 24p timeline in Vegas 6 if you will then render that to a 24p DVDA template to make a 24p DVD.

The reason you want to edit in a 24p timeline is that your transitions, etc will be 24p instead of 60i converted to 24p.

Last edited by Matt Howell; February 24th, 2006 at 01:08 PM.
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #18
Jubal 28

Well . . .

The method which works for you best is the best method to use, but IN GENERAL, if you're planning 24p output, it's best to do all your editing, effects, etc., in 24p.

Caveats:

Converting 60i footage to 24p will lose the 60i aesthetic, and there could be reasons why you'd want to keep it.

Converting 60i footage to 24p loses up to half the vertical resolution, as you saw -- and correctly surmised that "interpolate fields" is more of a resolution-sucker than "blend fields." However, interpolation is better for footage with a lot of movement.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Well . . .

The method which works for you best is the best method to use, but IN GENERAL, if you're planning 24p output, it's best to do all your editing, effects, etc., in 24p.

Caveats:

Converting 60i footage to 24p will lose the 60i aesthetic, and there could be reasons why you'd want to keep it.

Converting 60i footage to 24p loses up to half the vertical resolution, as you saw -- and correctly surmised that "interpolate fields" is more of a resolution-sucker than "blend fields." However, interpolation is better for footage with a lot of movement.
Where do you set "blend fields" or "interpolate fields"?

Also when you say "loses the 60i aesthetic" do you mean the inherent sharpness of 60i? TIA
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #20
Regular Crew

no good deed goes unpunished. In the same thread where I gave a big compliment I get shot down for trying to be helpful. I will remember that.
Matt Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #21
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Where do you set "blend fields" or "interpolate fields"?
In the project settings under "deinterlace method."

Quote:
Also when you say "loses the 60i aesthetic" do you mean the inherent sharpness of 60i? TIA
I mean it will no longer look like video; it will look like 24p (minus the resolution, of course). Most of the time, for my money, that's good -- but there could be reasons to keep the video look.
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #22
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howell
no good deed goes unpunished. In the same thread where I gave a big compliment I get shot down for trying to be helpful. I will remember that.
Huh? I wasn't shooting you down -- I was for the most part agreeing with you. Sorry if I gave any other impression.

Just saying not to reinvent the wheel if you found something that works for you.
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #23
Major Player

You've always been a troublemaker Dave.

-

I shoot 24 and edit 24. Vegas rules.
John Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #24
Jubal 28

Well, I surely meant no offense.
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Great Tutorial

I really liked your tutorial on editing 24P... I have paid money for some tutorials and yours was better... Keep up the good work....
Erick von Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #26
Jubal 28

Thanks, Eric . . .
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #27
Trustee

David,

Thanks for putting that together. I'm coming back to video after nearly 10 years out (except for playing with consumer DV and MovieMaker etc.) You can imagine the change - I feel like Rip Van Winkle! In '94 I paid big money to rent a NLE offline suite that featured a 20 gig Hard Drive. I just bought a Maxtor 300 gig drive at Costco for $250.

I downloaded the Vegas Trial and have been very pleased with it. But I was worried about the mystique of 24p. Thanks for the clarity.

I always preferred shooting to post but Vegas makes it pretty darn accessible. You can then spent time on editing theory. For the most part I just want a solid, reliable NLE system for crossover dissolves and titles.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Ken
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #28
Jubal 28

Thanks, Ken --

24p has this mystique or aura around it; people get nervous when they really shouldn't -- especially if they use Vegas.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...