Help Me Solve This DVD 3.0 Mystery!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Help Me Solve This DVD 3.0 Mystery!!

I got Movie Studio Platinum Edition, and wanted to try out the DVD Architecture program. I rendered a project at mpeg2 that, when done, showed it to be 3.82 GB. When I inserted it onto the DVD timeline, it mysteriously blossomed into a 5.8 GB file. And the "Optimize" screen said it was a 5.722.0 MB file. Why the conflict? The file runs 2 hours and eight minutes, which should fit on a DVD disc. But it now says it's 122% in content, even though on the Vegas editing timeline it is two hours, eight minutes (which makes sense regarding 3.82 GB). I tried the "fit to disc" thing, but it kept stopping me saying I had too much media. I only have that one file there on the timeline. What should I do to make this 3.82 GB translate into DVD Architecture correctly?

Thanks!
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Barry,

Is it possible that the increased size is because the original audio stream was AC3 and the Studio line only renders DVDs with an MPEG-2 layer, and so since Studio has to re-render the audio, the file size increases?

Just a guess. Look at Sony's Comparison here.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Major Player

Would that mean I'd have to shorten the contents? That seems to be the logical next step.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Jubal 28

Try rendering out from Vegas at a lower bitrate.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
Try rendering out from Vegas at a lower bitrate.
How does one do that in Vegas? Where do I start?
Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

After you hit optimize hit advanced or fit to disc.
Is the mpeg video only because the sound should be in .wav format
and in the same folder. Fit to disc will change the bitrate to fit.
In the platinum edition you can't adjust the bitrate in Vegas, but you can
in dvd architect.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 09:37 PM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas Movie Studio doesn't allow adjusting the bitrate. Instead, render to DV-AVI and let DVDA Studio render to a proper sized MPEG2.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

For 2 hours and eight minutes of video with uncompressed (no AC3) audio, a 5.8 GB file seems more realistic to me than a 3.82 GB file...
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyssios Chalkias
For 2 hours and eight minutes of video with uncompressed (no AC3) audio, a 5.8 GB file seems more realistic to me than a 3.82 GB file...
It all depends on the bitrate used. Both sound realistic to me... depending on the bitrate used.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
It all depends on the bitrate used. Both sound realistic to me... depending on the bitrate used.
Thanks for the help!
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #11
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i've had this happen a few times in past weeks.
i drop a 2.8gig mpeg into DVD3 = everything is fine ..then at some point creating the DVD,DVD3 says it's a 4.8 gig file ?? .. my menu's add up to .8 gig ... but under optomize it says the mpeg is 4.8 ??
start a new project and same mpeg goes into DVD3 and it reads the mpeg correctly..it seems once DVD3 reads the mpeg size wrong you cannot correct it = start over !!!
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #12

I too, have had this happen, so what I've done is saved markers, deleted the media from the project, reimport the media, open markers, and continue moving. PITA, but it's worked for me
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #13
Major Player

Just as a matter of interest:

DVDA has on more than one occasion informed me that my compilation will not fit on a disk of the selected capacity when common sense tells me that there just is not that much footage in my compilation.

My solution - I use DVDA to 'Prepare' only and then use Nero to actually burn the disk. In some cases the difference between Nero's estimate and DVDA's estimate has been huge with Nero's estimate always being less AND correct! And by the way I do not enable Nero's 'Overburn' feature.

I have also (on one occasion at least) had a problem when burning a Dual Layer DVD with DVDA - the DVD stopped at the layer break when played on a set top player and would play no further. I then used DVDA to 'Prepare' only (without making any changes whatsoever), burned with Nero, and the resulting DVD played with no further problems.

While I really hate using anything but Vegas and DVDA sometimes you really have no choice.

Regards,

Dale.
Dale Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm kind of relieved that this curious situation has been shared by such esteemed company, and that my computer isn't acting strange.

I never seem to get Nero to find my video files, but that's another story. ;D
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...