audio problem when recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

audio problem when recording

i'm getting clicking sounds only during recording from already laid-in material if my project contains video. it does not affect recorded material, just any audio tracks that are monitored during recording. it will be a problem because i am planning to score using live musicians and they will be distracted by this.

fiddled with all the settings. doesn't make a difference.

any help appreciated. thanks.

sound card: m-audio delta 1010
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:23 AM   #2

What is your sample clock set to in the Delta? Be sure it is set to 48k
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yup. it is. what i don't understand is why it happens only when there is a video track.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Mo,

I've experienced the clicking scenario you described on rare, inconsistent instances. (usually after I've recorded something and I go to capture it into Vegas) If possible, try recapturing the video (I'm assuming you've played back the video and the clicking is not present) or maybe this is when you employ something like Scenalyzer?

I've always thought that it was my connection, but I'll have to be more mindful when it happens again..

Just a thought,
-Michael
Michael McGruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM   #5
Regular Crew

michael,

the clicking is not present when playing back alone. i have to be recording to hear the problem e.g.
i have a video with audio on one track, then i am recording a vo on another track while monitoring audio 1. the material is fine. in fact, the material wasn't captured, it was exported from premiere because i use vegas for sound editing/recording/mixing only. the recorded material is also ok. problem is, i need to get clean monitoring for scoring purposes.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It sounds like a sound card issue to me... Is it a stand alone one? Can you allocate more memory to it?
Dionyssios Chalkias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You didn't mention if it is a regular click - if it is, check you don't have a metronome function on.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

peter,
it sounds like a click but it's really a clicking sound as a result of a gap- if you understand what i mean... nope, my metronome is off. as far as i can tell, there is no pattern to the "clicking"

dionyssios,
i don't think it's my sound card because i have been using it with more or less 32 stereo tracks and recording 8 tracks at a single time and it does well until i put video. as far as memory goes, i have 2gb ddr, the only control i have is with the ram preview. i have tweaked it, but the same thing happens. with latency, i have experimented with it and i know what it sounds like when there is not enough, but this is not the problem i cam talking about

i suspect that it's page filing, but i don't know how to prevent this from happening.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

nope. not page file. the frequency lessened when i turned off some processes
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #10

Try dropping the graphics acceleration back on your video card.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #11
Regular Crew

randy, it didn't work. BUT when i put it as far back as around half, the frequency of clicking increased. could this mean that my card isn't up to spec?

matrox millenium g400
Old March 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #12
Regular Crew

downloaded a new build and all's fine. turns out my video card was running out of ram, too.
Mo Zee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...