Surround & Downmixing help needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #16
Inner Circle

nah...
no need to get any of that when uve got teh best tool already at ur fingertips..

if however your wanting to go hard with this, id recommend the DTS encoder, but its about 2k AUD and not every DVD authoring suite supports the format
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #17
Regular Crew

(1) When I've created a 5.1 mix, on previewing or rendering out a stereo version, I get clipping at the loudest points as if Vegas is just summing channels. The downmix function only affects monitoring (where I can hear the distortion) and Vegas lacks any sort of intelligence in creating a stereo file out of 5.1 project.

I don't know if this will get around after so much time from the original posting but I bet I have an answer to #1.

I recently had a professionally mixed and mastered audio project done in 5.1. It was a music concert. When I layed the 6 channels of final audio onto the timeline, I rendered and upon playback, it sounded like crap. It clipped in many places. After paying many dollars for the mastering, I promptly tore a new butt on the guy who did the work - after all, mastering sets final volumes right? He got back to me the next day and said it sounded perfect to him. (He is very well respected in the business). I took his files back to the mixing engineer and they played perfect to him as well. I was really starting to get embarrased. I went back home and reinstalled the tracks on a new Vegas file and again they clipped. I couldn't figure it out so I called Vegas support and after 3 days of caling them, I finally reached someone that knew what they were doing. He instructed me to right click on the left side of the track and a box opened up. It seems that the box needs to be checked for constant power. It seems that Vegas blends the front right, left and center by default. You have to check each box for constant power so Vegas won't blend those tracks. Their reasoning to me was since all three are front tracks, they default to be blended. I checked the boxes and everything sounds great. I ate a lot of crow. Vegas is a decent program but you think something like this would not be buried in the manual.

Hope this solves your problem.

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM   #18
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
Hope this solves your problem.

Jeff
Incredibly useful find Jeff - much appreciated. I knew it was summing channels somewhere. Thanks again!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...