Two Edit Monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Two Edit Monitors?

Me again, im just trying to post my way out of the "new boot" title..

Im having an editing bay built this week. Can vegas run two edit monitors to split the workspace up? Im not talking about a preview monitor...
Fred Helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Helm
Can vegas run two edit monitors to split the workspace up? Im not talking about a preview monitor...
Yes it can.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #3
New Boot

How is this done? I'll be getting into dual screen editing soon, when I can afford it, and would like to know as well. I've kinda/sorta figured it out in Premiere, but I'm new to Vegas. Is it done in a different way, or just drag and drop as in APP?

Thanks in advance~
Logan Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have Vegas Movie Studio, and it is similar to Premiere Pro. You undock, and pull component to extended monitor. The vegas monitor at least in my version does not give a great preview, so it makes no sense to fill the screen with it on the second monitor, but it is great to at least be able to spread out a little. My second monitor is a 20 Inch Wide Screen LCD, and if I was using Vegas a lot, I would probably try to set it up as the primary and do most of the time line on it, leave my standard monitor to preview on.
Old April 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks a lot. My current monitor is a 21 inch CRT, and I'm looking into a secondary, as I mentioned - perhaps a 17-19 inch LCD.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice, it's much appreciated.
Logan Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Bought a 20 inchk Wide Screen 1600 x 1200 from Dell for $400 or so. Great, put one problem-- it has composite, vga, svideo, and DVI input, but I wish it had composite for my FX1
Old April 27th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

ive been working duial montiros noww since teh day sof the ol matrox g550, and to this day, i cannot look back..

as mentioend, u simply stretch your windows.
Im running 2x17' LCD panels and i have vegas split horizontally, the top half is stricly timeline stuff only, th elower half on the right houses my media, transition, filters, then on the left i have my preview, mixer and surround panner works really well and gives a flowing feel to the workflow.

Another thing with vbegas, is that u can allocaet the second (or even third) monitor to act as a preview device. If your running HDV material, this is ideal as you can use the resolutoins available on these monitors themselves without the need of going out and buyinga whole new reference monitor.. Vgas also has different setups for the second monitor, unfortunately though, the "what u see is what u get" in preview is still slightly off unless u run your footage to a TV..ony then will u really see what u get...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yep, I have 2x 17 in monitors as well with Vegas, works pretty well.

I usually have the video preview on the right, timeline & media pool on the left. Keyboard shortcut makes the video preview fullscreen, which is nice.

You can actually save and recall 10 screen layouts in Vegas with a keyboard shortcut, though this is quite poorly documented. (Ctrl-Alt-D then a number from 0 to 9 to save, Alt-D then a number to recall.) This makes dual monitor work even more comfortable.

However - the video preview in Vegas is inaccurate (which is inevitable, and always the case if you preview on a computer monitor), so you should seriously consider getting a "real" video monitor (either CRT or calibrated LCD), and driving it through a Decklink card or a Firewire connected camera. A friend of mine has this set up, makes a big difference.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Gian , hwhat SOny tried to do with V6, was to offer the same kind of calibration as found on teh decklink, but for some reason(for me ayway) the footage is noticabley innacurate.. so i jsut use firewire and switchit on and off as needed for certain scenes. Id rather run a full preview montior on its own, but then it gets laggy and it gets frustrating
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #10
Trustee

Halo folks.. I just got into HDV n I'm looking at setting up my second monitor. Using a Dell 17" now and looking at getting the Dell 24" for the preview. I have a Nvidia Gefore FX5200 which is supposed to be crappy. Do I need a decklink to make this work?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #11
Major Player

What does it mean to calibrate a LCD monitor? How is this done (it seems that Vegas and Decklink work in two different ways)? How does connecting to Decklink or camera via Firewire help?
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Trustee

its something to do with the colour space. When editing DV, you can use the firewire to output the preview to your camcoder that acts as a deck. You can then use the RGB output from the camcoder to a TV for preview. However for HDV, the colourspace is different (4.2.2) therefore we cant use the firewire method. DSE recommended the next best soln is to have a second monitor that supports 1900x1200. However, the colour will still not be as accurate. Therefore it is recommended to do some calibration. I'm not sure how its done but I think its a trial n error kinda procedure.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...