Achieving 24p (film look) from HDV source? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
At what framerate were these acquired? 50i? 25p? 24p?
Stills don't tell much of the story, but of course you're going to see some frame redundancy on something like this. I'm starting to lose the thread, which might be pointing to lack of sleep, but are you starting at a higher framerate resampling TO 24p? or starting with 24p trying to get rid of the redundant/echoed frames?
I'm starting from HDV 60i, going to DVD format MPEG2 at 24p (using the Vegas templates as-is).

I'm pleased with the results using interpolate for deinterlacing (and resample disabled), but I'm curious as to why the smart resample does what it does - generate ghost images.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM   #17

That's a part of the motion blur. You shouldn't be seeing the ghosting when the picture is moving, which is why I say "stills don't tell much of the story."
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #18
Major Player

Yeah, Vegas and DVFilm do it differently. In Vegas, on parts with heavy motion you'll see it alternate between one and two ghost images. In DVFilm you'll see it alternate between zero and one ghost images. In my opinion, when played back at regular speed the Vegas approach looks much smoother. If you didn't have the ghost images the motion would appear to studder and jerk along as the extra frames were dropped.

By the way, when you are doing a 24p render from 60i footage, if the camera moves are steady, the pans are slow, and you avoid zooms or at least use very slow zooms, the conversion will look pretty darned good. If you shoot like regular handheld video though it will look terrible.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
That's a part of the motion blur. You shouldn't be seeing the ghosting when the picture is moving, which is why I say "stills don't tell much of the story."
I figured as much, yet the ghosting is very visible. I've put two clips online:

Without resample: http://www.villamil.org/movies/istanbul-interpolate.mpg

And with resample: http://www.villamil.org/movies/istanbul-resample.mpg

The resampled clip does look smoother, in most of the frame. However, I find the ghosting quite visible. The clip without resampling looks more stuttery, but that's kind of the look I was going for...

I guess resampling is doing what it is supposed to, which is averaging the source frames to generate a target frame, when there isn't an exact coincidence.

...so turning off resample is more a matter of the style I'm trying to achieve, I suppose.
Gian Pablo Villamil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...