Got the Jitters: Why Does This Happen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Got the Jitters: Why Does This Happen?

I put together a "slideshow" of still frames from my video which looked rock solid on my Vegas program, but when I burned it to DVD many of the still images have an unholy jitter. Why doe sthis happen? It looked perfect in the computer but once on the DVD it plays differently. Is there a pre-emptive way of preventing this before it goes to DVD? Or is it the player?

Thanks for any insight.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Your TV is interlaced. There have been many posts on this topic. You might try turning on "Reduce Interlace Flicker" and adding a very slight blur to your images. Fine lines will definitely cause this.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks; I'm surprised though that some of the images are rock solid. It seems almost random.
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

also be aware of the resolutions youre using in these pictures, as when Vegas downscales it can have some issues with super high res/dpi images
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Peter (or anyone),

Any tips on what sizes/rezzes do work well?
Bill Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Porter
Any tips on what sizes/rezzes do work well?
It really depends on how much zooming and/or panning you want to do.
NTSC is 720 x 480 so double that for a 200% zoom, etc.
If you're scanning images, my (very general) rule of thumb is that, at a scanner setting of 100 dpi, 1" = 100 pixels.
Therefore a 6" x 4" image at 150 dpi = 900 x 600 pixels.This gives you some room to do a moderate zoom and/or crop.
If it was a large group shot though and you wanted to zoom into one person, then you'd have to increase the scanner resolution.
Also, small images need higher settings to come out OK. For example, an photo 1" x 1" would be scanned at around 600 dpi for clarity.

Problems have arisen when folks try to drop several very high res images (4 megs each or larger) from their digital camera on a Vegas timeline. Unless you've got a fast machine with lots of RAM, etc. Vegas eventually slows to a crawl. The usual answer is to batch convert them to smaller sizes. Ifanview, a free app, is a great tool for doing this.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks, man.

Also I think you mean irfanview.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You're welcome Bill.
And I did mean Irfanview.
I knew I'd made a typo somewhere but couldn't see it staring at me :-(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Major Player

aint no thang! :)
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I don't remember who I got this from but it cured my problems with this completely.

flicker....stuttering pictures
In VMS 6, right-click on the event (each still photo), and select "switches", then check the box "reduce interlace flicker".

One of the things I did to help alleviate the problem is to turn off 'Fast Video Resizing'. This is a check box that appears
on the Render Settings screen when you go to Make Movie (at least in Movie Studio 4). It slows down the rendering, but also
cleaned up some of the problems like you are describing.

Also render at best quality instead of good.
Jim Ohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ohair
I don't remember who I got this from but it cured my problems with this completely.

flicker....stuttering pictures
In VMS 6, right-click on the event (each still photo), and select "switches", then check the box "reduce interlace flicker".

One of the things I did to help alleviate the problem is to turn off 'Fast Video Resizing'. This is a check box that appears
on the Render Settings screen when you go to Make Movie (at least in Movie Studio 4). It slows down the rendering, but also
cleaned up some of the problems like you are describing.

Also render at best quality instead of good.
Thanks for all the answers.... :D
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #12
New Boot

add motion blur

Depending on how fast you are croping and panning your photos play around with the motion blur envelope in the video bus... add some keyframes to start increasing the motion blur the faster the motion gets. I at least use a .02 for the slow stuff and around a 5-6 for the faster stuff. Things might look a bit too blurry sometimes, so you may want to scale down the blur. I really wish the program would figure out realistic motion blur envelopes on its own for more realistic still picutre animation.

For example I often go from a slow fadeing picutre into a faster one disolving back and forth.. makes is harder to get the high quality look of no motion blur... anyway.. maybe someone will write a script for this one day?

I often fool around with the preview in player mode for hours to get the right amount per sequence.

My other issue with this is that you just can't see what it will honestly look like on a TV from the computer unless you render it onto a DVD or VCD or video tape... I have my computer hooked up to a TV but the if the player skips even one field it totally screws up the whole "feel" of the motion.
Brian Shircliffe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...