Mixing SD and HDV? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing SD and HDV?

Quick question. Will I be able to mix SD footage with HD footage and still be able to make it an HD project? I am kind of looking down the road for the Blueray etc days. I do have some footage from my step son's HS grad last night. I have both my HD footage and another angle with a SD camcorder. I want to use mainly my HD footage, some shots from the other camcorder and also some photos. In the immediate future I will make this for SD, but I am wondering what options I have down the road.

Thanks again

Mike
Michael Stowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Mike, only you can answer this question. There are significant differences between HD/HDV and SD blown up to HD, and you'll see them for sure.

How significant will those differences be to you? I don't know. Do some tests, check it out, see how you like SD on an HD timeline for a start.

For renders where you're resampling footage to a higher or lower resolution, it's always appropriate to check "best" video rendering in the "custom" rendering dialog.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mixing the two works well if it's part of the story. For instance, "here is my son today" in HD, and "here is my son at last year's party" in SD. In fact, you can use video effects to purposefully trash the SD a bit.

If the quality change is random, it could be distracting.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I should have stated that I did not expect to get HD results with the Sd footage. It is more of a history thing of his growing up etc...my concern was any issue of making it an HD render. Would I still get HD quality on the HD section? Sounds like I would.

Also...I have never gone back to tape as of yet. Could I do this with something like this?

Last edited by Michael Stowe; June 3rd, 2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old June 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
Major Player

I've mixed three formats of footage on a single HD project: SD 16:9, SD 4:3, and HDV. I also added some photo animation to the same project. It looks fine. Vegas uprezzes the SD a little as well. Think of it this way, when you watch TV on an HD station, you are seeing a mix of formats. If it doesn't bother you there, why should it bother you on your own stuff.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks again. I am now thinking I should have shot the SD camcorder set to 16:9. I am assuming it will show 4:3 even in the HD project?
Old June 5th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Michael,
you can scale your footage what ever u wanto in Vegas.
Crop it, scale it wide, blacks on top & bottom, etc, whatever you choose.

just experiment with vegas's crop & scale function.

goodluck!
Hornady Setiawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornady Setiawan
Michael,
you can scale your footage what ever u wanto in Vegas.
Crop it, scale it wide, blacks on top & bottom, etc, whatever you choose.

just experiment with vegas's crop & scale function.

goodluck!
Thanks...I need to get better with Vegas. So I can scale just part of my timeline in vegas or do I need to scale the clip prior to inserting on the time line? It will only be about 30 seconds of material that will need to be scaled.

Thanks
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You can scale on the timeline.

You'll want to get familiar with event pan/crop and track motion.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum
You can scale on the timeline.

You'll want to get familiar with event pan/crop and track motion.
Thanks... I need to work on a lot of items. Will definately take your advice on pan/crop and track motion.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #11
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stowe
Thanks... I need to work on a lot of items. Will definately take your advice on pan/crop and track motion.
Michael,

If you have your project set up for HDV (widescreen) then all you have to do is click Pan/Crop on the SD event, right-click in the frame and select Match Output Aspect and you will have the proper aspect applied. Adjust the crop rectangle up or down so as not cut off any heads and you’re done. It’s that easy.

Track Motion will affect the entire track and is not how you match aspects. Pan/Crop is the appropriate tool for the job.

~jr
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I don't recommend scaling 4:3 SD footage to fit a widescreen HD project, as that will further degrade the SD image quality relative to any HD footage. Keep the 4:3 footage centered with black bars on either side, or some relevant artwork, or put two 4:3 clips side by side with a little cropping to fill the screen.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano
Michael,

If you have your project set up for HDV (widescreen) then all you have to do is click Pan/Crop on the SD event, right-click in the frame and select Match Output Aspect and you will have the proper aspect applied. Adjust the crop rectangle up or down so as not cut off any heads and you’re done. It’s that easy.

Track Motion will affect the entire track and is not how you match aspects. Pan/Crop is the appropriate tool for the job.

~jr
Thanks John.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
I don't recommend scaling 4:3 SD footage to fit a widescreen HD project, as that will further degrade the SD image quality relative to any HD footage. Keep the 4:3 footage centered with black bars on either side, or some relevant artwork, or put two 4:3 clips side by side with a little cropping to fill the screen.
I agree, but be aware that with black bars on both sides, you will end up with the footage appearing to be in a box with black all around when you view it on a regular 4:3 TV. What I did on my last project was to make both a 4:3 version and a 16:9 version available from the opening menu. In the 4:3 version, the 16:9 footage was letterboxed and the 4:3 footage filled the screen. In the 16:9 version, the 16:9 footage filled the screen and the 4:3 footage was pillarboxed (black bars on the sides). I chose the 4:3 version as the default since most people still have that kind of TV.

On a larger project without room for two versions on the same DVD, I would go for some kind of matting artwork to fill out the edges of the 4:3 screen and bring it out to the 16:9 frame. The "box in the center of the screen" thing looks really lame IMHO.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw

Hey Kevin, can you post a screen shot of this, I'm pre-coffee and would like to see it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...