Edward Troxel, you are wrong, wrong, wrong at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Edward Troxel, you are wrong, wrong, wrong

Boy, that felt good...considering that Edward is a bonafide guru and I am but lowly nothingness (in the realm of Vegas, anyway)

OK, here's the scoop on png's in swf files...as applies to SWISH. Yes, text is easily supported in an swf file. BUT....so are png objects! (photos, logos,etc) After burning about 4 hours (yes, I am exceptionally hard headed) I FINALLY figured out that 24 bit pngs "saved for the web" in Photoshop 7 DO NOT WORK! However, 8 bit pngs "saved for the web" in PS7 work like a champ. Just import into Swish, apply effects to your heart's content, export as an swf, import in to Vegas, drop on your timeline, and DA DA.

Keep in mind that this works in Swish...I don't know why it wouldn't work in Flash, but I could be wrong.

At any rate, I'm going to rephrase my topic heading to "Edward, you're misinformed, etc"....that's primarily cause Edward lives a short 90 minute drive from me (45 minutes at 120 mph) and he knows where I live.

Regards all - David Bird
David Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Hmm... I only recall saying that some flash files don't work - which is CORRECT. I also posted a link to Sony's knowledgebase which talked about flash files. Not exactly sure how I was wrong by saying Vegas has limited flash import capabilities?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Edward....you really were not wrong....and no offense was meant by my post. I have great respect for your knowledge.

I was terribly frustrated trying to get an imported swf file to work. I KNEW an swf would function in Vegas but for the life of me, I couldn't get the darn thing to work. I FINALLY discovered the "trick" needed to use the swf file.

Also, I was working in Swishmax.....a program that can produce an swf and emulates Flash but at a fraction of the cost. Swish is definately not Flash...it's been several years since I used Flash and I certainly don't doubt your observations. I read the link that you provided....but, again, I had used an swf to achieve my desired results just a week previously.

At any rate, the topic heading was in jest....and I regret that I posted in the manner I did.

Regards - David Bird
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #4

No problem. Thanks for the clarification and description on how you got things to work. You're close enough we need to try to meet!
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Agreed...anywhere but Cairo :)
db
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bird
Agreed...anywhere but Cairo :)
I have NO problems agreeing to that!
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

text files

Hay david,
were is sikenston mo i live in ofallon mo just curious.
Shawn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Shawn,
Sikeston is 150 miles south of St.Louis straight down Interstate 55....about 30 miles south of Cape Girardeau. Our claim to fame is Lambert's Cafe and the Jaycee Bootheel Rodeo...
David
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bird
Also, I was working in Swishmax.....a program that can produce an swf and emulates Flash but at a fraction of the cost. Swish is definately not Flash...it's been several years since I used Flash
I discovered this beauty of a program (I started with the version prior to Swishmax) when I had to do a website for a corporate intranet. I was struggling with Flash 5 at the time I found Swish and I promptly removed Flash from my system. Great little piece of software!

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...