Project Properties progessive vs interlaced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Project Properties progessive vs interlaced

As I understand it (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) if the footage you shoot will never leave a computer screen (no TV or film) then you want to make your field order in the Project Properties "None (progressive scan)".

but... (this is for film festivals so keep that in mind)

Q1: Are those projection monitors also progressive?

Q2: If you start the project with progressive, edit it, save it, render it, do you have to (a) recapture or (b) start a new project that's interlaced if you want to broadcast?
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:30 AM   #2
Major Player

anyone? someone?
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:53 AM   #3

no point in recapturing, as odds are that the camcorder you used is interlaced unless it's a DVX100.
You can use Vegas as your deinterlacing tool, it does a very good job, but there are better deinterlacers such as those offered by Magic Bullet or DVFilm.
If you're going to film festivals, you probably want progressive. If you're printing to tape, you likely have no cnoice but to use interlaced, unless you've got a DVX.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the response.

Canon XL 2 uses progressive doesn't it? So I do have to recapture or can Vegas de-interlace that progressive footage?

What I heard was, progressive is better. It's more picture, less artifacts. When you go to broadcast TV you need to de-interlace or the engineer will kick it back as incompatible. I hope this is right.

So those projection machines that throw an image on the screen, are they progressive, interlaced or doesn't matter because all they do is reflect what they see in which case progressive is better because there's more image to throw?
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Trustee

Yeah, I want to know that as well - for projectors (HD), does it matter if it is Interlaced?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
So I do have to recapture or can Vegas de-interlace that progressive footage?
Progressive vs interlaced.... you can't de-interlace progressive footage... progressive footage is not interlaced hence your original question.

interlaced is what you are watching on tv right now that is the NTSC standard.

You can capture your footage a hundred different times in Vegas and it will always be one way.. the way you shot it. if you shot it interlaced then it will always capture interlaced if you shot it progressive then it will always be progressive.
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Actually the MPEG Edit Studio Pro version claims they can convert progressive to interlaced and interlaced to progressive. Not sure if I should post their text or not so I'll just throw the url out there for the curious.
h++p://mmm.kddilabs.jp/en/mpeg/mpro/20/FAQ.htm#b15 (fifth and sixth Q's from the bottom)

According to MPEG Edit Studio Pro, converting progressive to interlaced is easier than interlaced to progressive. So that answers all my questions right there.

Tape everything in progressive mode.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8

Vegas can turn progressive to interlaced, and interlaced to progressive as well. No magic happening there.

It's all determined by:
Project settings
Render settings
If you acquire Progressive, ie; Panny DVX or Canon XL2, then most folks stay progressive, but if you render to the default templates in DVD Architect, you'll get an interlaced final MPEG.
If you acquire interlaced, you'll edit interlaced, and generally output interlaced. But, you can either use one of a few deinterlacing plugins, or use Vegas built-in deinterlacing tools, and output progressive if you'd prefer.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:09 AM   #9
Major Player

WONDERFUL, I love Vegas so much. Thanks again Douglas. I appreciate it.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:43 AM   #10
Trustee

Connect HD

Any have any experience with this? It is necessary and does it help with HD (I am using an FX1)?
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...