Capture issues with AMD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 9th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture issues with AMD

Hi all;

I just bought a new computer for editing HDV;

XI tower 64 AGE-SLI
AMD 64 x 2 4800 64 bit dual core
nvidia Geforce 7800GTX 256 M DDR3 PCI
3 Gigs ram
3 160 GB hard drives (raid zero)

One fire-wire port.

Camera; HDR-FX1 setup for m2t output.

I am able to capture fine with Media Studio Pro-7 but editing is slow after 10 minutes on the timeline. I tried to order MSP-8 to try editing with proxy files but I waited a month for the software and gave up on the Ulead order.

I thought I'd make the jump to Vegas-6 & (Cineform intermediate codec) to speed up workflow but I am not able to capture with the Vegas 6 software. The camera is recognized and I can fast forward and rewind with the on-screen controls but when I push the play or record button, my computer locks up. I read some posts that suggest another fire-wire card and/or Connect HD to capture but I am not interested in spending any more money when this software should work out of the box. I am ready to throw in the towel on this Sony software after two full days of struggle. Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves? BTW; I am able to capture and utilize on screen camera controls on my Dell M-90 laptop with Vegas-6 so I know the camera and software can work together. Thanks for any tips.
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Gary,
Are you using WinXP SP2 or WinXP 64?
Are you using the internal capture application for HDV?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas while stopping all background applications like virus checkers, MS Update, iTunes?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Capture issues with AMD

Guy;
Thanks for the reply. I am using SP-2 and the internal capture app. for HDV. I have not un-installed and re-installed with background software disabled. Will try that this eve.

Thanks for your help;
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

AMD capture issues for HDV

Tried the uninstall reinstall and I have the same issues. I am throwing in the towell on Vegas. I just ordered Ulead's Media Studio Pro 8.
Old August 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Firewire issue: You may want to look at Windows XP

First, check the obvious:
The Device Is Slow After Connecting
If you connect a low-speed device (such as a 200 MB/second hub, repeater, or other device) in the chain between the host controller and the high-speed device, the software must fragment the packets to accommodate the configuration. Always place low-speed devices at the end of a chain.

Cable Length
The limit for a FireWire cable is 4.5 meters.

Now look at XP OS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222/en-us

SYMPTOMS
After you update your computer to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the performance of your 1394a or 1394b FireWire devices may be greatly decreased. A digital camera that uses S400 speed is an example of such a device.

There is a slight possibility if the firewire card is "no-name" card could be at fault or thiere's a chipset issue on your motherboard that causes this issue too. If the firewire is embedded in the motherboard, flash the bios. However, this is usually software.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Major Player

firewire patch for Windows XP SP2

I'm with James on this one...give the update a shot.
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Why everybody is pointing on this patch? If you read the MS page carefully it says the speed is down on PC where 1394b connector was present and it was upgraded to WinXP SP2.
I don't read anywhere that if you have only normal 1394a FireWire updating to SP2 will lead to problems!

Quote: "This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade."
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Smith
Hi all;

I just bought a new computer for editing HDV;

XI tower 64 AGE-SLI
AMD 64 x 2 4800 64 bit dual core
nvidia Geforce 7800GTX 256 M DDR3 PCI
3 Gigs ram
3 160 GB hard drives (raid zero)

One fire-wire port.

Camera; HDR-FX1 setup for m2t output.

I am able to capture fine with Media Studio Pro-7 but editing is slow after 10 minutes on the timeline. I tried to order MSP-8 to try editing with proxy files but I waited a month for the software and gave up on the Ulead order.

I thought I'd make the jump to Vegas-6 & (Cineform intermediate codec) to speed up workflow but I am not able to capture with the Vegas 6 software. The camera is recognized and I can fast forward and rewind with the on-screen controls but when I push the play or record button, my computer locks up. I read some posts that suggest another fire-wire card and/or Connect HD to capture but I am not interested in spending any more money when this software should work out of the box. I am ready to throw in the towel on this Sony software after two full days of struggle. Anyone have any tricks up their sleeves? BTW; I am able to capture and utilize on screen camera controls on my Dell M-90 laptop with Vegas-6 so I know the camera and software can work together. Thanks for any tips.
I would not conclude it is AMD, as the title suggests. I am running a dual 3800+ with 2 gigs memory, and 7200 rpm drives, and I shoot an FX1. I can capture in Vegas Movie Studio fine (stripped down version of Vegas), either SD DV, or the internal HDV. As a first step, try downloading HDVSplit, (a freeware program) to see if you can capture using it. That is a simple program to capture HDV, and will tell you if your camera is connecting properly with the system.
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Major Player

SP2 Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan Vaglarov
Why everybody is pointing on this patch? If you read the MS page carefully it says the speed is down on PC where 1394b connector was present and it was upgraded to WinXP SP2.
I don't read anywhere that if you have only normal 1394a FireWire updating to SP2 will lead to problems!

Quote: "This problem occurs if you connect a 1394a or 1394b FireWire device to a 1394b port. This problem occurs because Windows XP SP2 changes 1394b ports to S100 speed when you upgrade."

I am pointing to this because many times these patches, BIOS updates et. al. fixthings you will never see in the "readme.txt' file. Lately I have seen many wi-fi connectivity issues by driver updates that were not even remotly documented.
James Harring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #10
Major Player

I am running an AMD x2 with Vegas and WinXP SP2 and it is running great. I use 3 external drives and 3 decks/cameras connected to it with only one small problem. The old deck DSR20 is not recognized by windows but it still works well.

I have no clue why it wouldn't work with your system. Maybe something is configured or installed improperly.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I've cut the Vegas cord

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I am able to capture with HDV split but since Media Studio Pro 8 has arrived I am using it exclusively for capturing and editing. See ya later Vegas. Great screen preview and camera controls as well as "piece of cake" link up to the camera. I was worried about the proxy files but they are fine. I learned to edit with this software so I am pleased with knowing all of the shortcuts and not having to learn all of the shortcuts and workarounds with Vegas. Again, thanks for all of your help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...