My editor says Vegas not for broadcast - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Well from a producer's prospective I can see the editor's point.

1. Avid is the standard, and if you ever have to re-cut the show for length, or move it to another market, or adjust the master in any way, having an Avid project file is the best way to move it from facility to facility (everyone has Avid). Wheras finding Vegas in a facility might be more difficult.

2. I take it you're paying this guy to edit your show. Do you really want to put him on something that he's never used before when you're paying him by the hour? Get him something he's comfortable with, to save you all time and money. If not, he should at least be grateful that you're going to pay him to learn a new system. :)

3. I haven't used Vegas myself, but I'm sure that quality wise it's just fine for broadcast. If you're doing everything in-house I say go for it, but if someone outside your facility is going to be collaborating with you, well no one's ever been fired for going Avid.
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #32
Major Player

Crimson Editor is my preference for editing text documents... Notepad ain't got nothing on it!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Why no "Avid" EDL Export

Vegas... I like it too... but, my productions are also TV, Film targetted. Why... Why doesnt Vegas include an "Avid EDL" export function? I know why... they are so stubborn they want to try to change the industry so people have to use Vegas. But, in retrospect... I think even more people may use vegas if in the end they could easily exort an EDL for Avid if need be. If I start my project on Vegas (lots of time) it will have to stay "Vegas" forever... so... in order to be more compatible with "The Industry" I usually cut my important projects on Avid... although... I am seriously considering Vegas for this project I am working on now... AAaa confused producer...
Carl Downs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #34
Major Player

I've never used Vegas, but I'd imagine something like this would solve your EDL problems? Even though its designed for audio, I think it can also convert all the Vegas data into something useful that other NLEs can read. However, don't quote me on it...
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #35
Trustee

Vegas does have an AVID EDL export function. You should also try using the Save As... function and change the file type...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #36
Major Player

Unfortunately though, the script that post links to has some pretty major limitations:

1. It only supports a single audio and video track
2. It only supports cuts and cross fades (dissolves)
3. Assumes all audio is stereo
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #37
Wrangler

i think the frame for this whole discussion--about whether vegas is suitable for broadcast or not--is simply off. maybe the lesson is that you should have requested to meet with the editor and have this discussion about workflow well in advance. the biggest lesson i ever learned in terms of workflow was to attend to delivery before i shoot anything!

if i cover every detail about delivery with a client in advance, then the project usually flows okay. if i don't touch all bases regarding delivery, then it is usually full of headaches and the challenging prospect of readjusting expectations and altering the workflow, as you are experiencing now. who cares if the guy is right or wrong in his assumptions? the more useful question is, what's the take-away for you in terms of improving the flow of future projects?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...