Verticle Black Bars at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Verticle Black Bars

I read this somewhere but still having the same problem. Can someone list the steps of getting a decent DVD without having vertical black bars on the side?? On a 4:3 tv its fine but when played on a widescreen lcd its noticeable.

Camera: FX1
After I load the m2t on Vegas, I render to avi using the supplied connect hd I select the "stretch video to fill output frame size" and the template: "HDV 1080-60i intermediate". After the edit, I batch render to dvda ntsc widescreen.

Thanks
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM   #2
Sponsor: VASST

When you render to MPEG2 NTSC DVD Architect Widescreen, make sure your project settings are HDV 1080-60i. Also make sure the "stretch video to fill output frame size" option is applied at that step. You don’t need to stretch going from M2T to intermediary because they are both HDV 1.333 PAR. You need to stretch going from the intermediary to DVD Widescreen (1.2121 PAR) and you need to do that from a 1080-60i timeline for the stretch to work.

~jr
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Done...I guess batch render is out the window cause there is not an option to "stretch video to fill output frame size" .
Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

That CAN be done via a script - the script simply needs to be modified to properly set that option.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
That CAN be done via a script - the script simply needs to be modified to properly set that option.
How do I achieve this? I realized also that utilizing batch rendering via scripting goes a long a lot faster than just rendering to mpeg2.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

renderer = FindRenderer(RendType);
renderer.StretchToFill = true;
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Wrangler

A couple years later...

Edward, thank you, thank you, thank you. I was having the same problem and I googled "vegas scripting 'stretch video'", and this post was the first result to come up. I didn't doubt that if there was a solution I would be able to find it here!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Wrangler

Actually, it didn't work. :(

I'm working with a modified version of Steven Christy's 2003 multiple project render script (attached to this post as a text file, but originally a .js file extension). I would like all renders to be stretched-to-fit. I tried adding the line Edward mentions above, renderer.StretchToFill = true, into the script, but the renders were exactly the same. Any advice?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Multiple Project Render.txt (21.5 KB, 676 views)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Wrangler

I've probably found my answer at this thread.

www.jetdv.com :: View topic - How do I add StretchToFill to this script?

And I should probably have guessed that Edward would be helping find the solution over there, too.

Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...