25fps film look/motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

25fps film look/motion

Please anybody who uses pal 25 fps for any ideas to get film look and film motion with Vegas!
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:59 PM   #2

I don't understand your question. You've got 25p but feel you can see a difference between the 25p and 24p for film cadence? or you're looking for a film-like gamma?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
I don't understand your question. You've got 25p but feel you can see a difference between the 25p and 24p for film cadence? or you're looking for a film-like gamma?
Douglas, would you explain about film-like gamma? What is that actually?
The prime target of mine is to get real filmic motion from PAL 25fps interlaced. I got some "formulas" of film look, but now I am really confused about how to "destroy" the smoothest motion of any DV (miniDV) cam. I know that Vegas is briliant about getting 24p film motion from 30fps, but how to get same result from 25fps interlaced to 25p with real film motion? I realize that the "magic" is in the specific motion blur also. Please for any ideas and examples!
Old December 13th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello Plamen,

I am just doing a 25 p (HDV) project. Most important for the filmic look is deinterlacing from 50i to 25p. That makes a great difference. In my project about steam locomotives there are a lot of spoked wheels - on 50i the motion of the wheels is smooth, on 25 p You sometimes see the spokes standing still or move even backwards (like the wheels of stagecoaches in old westerns) .Next thing I did was using Magic Bullet Film Looks. There I used the setting "Epic" to get a mimic Technicolor - look. So far It looks quite good.

Greeting Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi Richard, when u say deinterlacing, do you mean setting the properties of the render format (eg mpeg2 DVDarch- BEST) to deinterlace? I do not have meddle with the veg file properties right? Could u post the detailed method to deinterlace?

I saw some really cool videos taken from the HVX recently m I'm also trying to experiment with the FX1e PAL footages.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mike Crash's de-interlacer is freeware/donationware and works in Vegas.

Usage information:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=52097

Note that for shutter speeds other than 1/60 or 1/50, interpolate may be better than blend fields.

2- Other de-interlacers may do a better job. However, you'd have to look up their instructions.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello Jean,

i use the Mike Crash deinterlacer. Mostly I go to 50 p. If I need 25p I use Vdub to remove ervery second frame on the finished project. So I keep all options as long as possible, but it consumes more space and time. I do the video stuff only as a hobby - so there are usually no deadlines to keep...
If I want the 25p look I do it directly.

Greetins Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So, I have tried almost everything what all of you said and discussed here. But I am still not satisfied by the results I get. Whatever kind of deinterlace I use, the resulted video still keeps strobes, even if there is low camera motion. I see that any movie or music video is made with specific motion blur which eliminates strobed vision. I think that is the general magic of film motion I am looking for. But probably it is impossible to get it by software or plug-in. If somebody knows a way to get such a motion blur, please share expierence and examples here. Meanwhile, I shot with miniDV cam JVC GR-DVL520A. In that matter, let's everybody who uses miniDV to response here.
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Did you shoot with a 1/50 second shutter, or some other shutter speed?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM   #10

Knowing a little about the GR-DVL520A, you don't have the ability to set shutter speed, and that being the case, you'll find it almost impossible to get a good 24p cadence. You need to shoot at 1/50th as Glenn hints, for best results, just as in NTSC land, we need to shoot at 1/60th if we don't have a 24p cam, for best results.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Knowing a little about the GR-DVL520A, you don't have the ability to set shutter speed, and that being the case, you'll find it almost impossible to get a good 24p cadence. You need to shoot at 1/50th as Glenn hints, for best results, just as in NTSC land, we need to shoot at 1/60th if we don't have a 24p cam, for best results.
Actually I shoot EXACTLY at 1/50th. So???
Also, as I mentioned in my previous thread, I dont need to get 24p in any case, I would be glad to get 25p too. But the problem is that I cant get the specific film motion blur, understand now? Ok, I am giving you an example: have you ever seen a video taken with digital photo camera or with mobile phone camera? Yes, the quality is very low, but the motion blur is almost what I want to get in Vegas. You see that if there is not such a motion blur in a phone camera or in digital photo camera, the motion will be so strobed. So, do you really understand what I am looking for?
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

u can always reset the playback rate in the files properties if u wanted that stuttery look.. i wouldnt recomend it unless its specifically for a particular EFFECT your after.. NOT a "film" look..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
u can always reset the playback rate in the files properties if u wanted that stuttery look.. i wouldnt recomend it unless its specifically for a particular EFFECT your after.. NOT a "film" look..
No, Peter, I dont mean playback rate! I mean the MOTION BLUR in that case. If I change the playback rate in Vegas, then the strobing is terribly bad, i.e. no any motion blur as I want it. That is not the "healing" of what I need!
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plamen Petrov
Actually I shoot EXACTLY at 1/50th. So???
Also, as I mentioned in my previous thread, I dont need to get 24p in any case, I would be glad to get 25p too. But the problem is that I cant get the specific film motion blur, understand now? Ok, I am giving you an example: have you ever seen a video taken with digital photo camera or with mobile phone camera? Yes, the quality is very low, but the motion blur is almost what I want to get in Vegas. You see that if there is not such a motion blur in a phone camera or in digital photo camera, the motion will be so strobed. So, do you really understand what I am looking for?
I understand your frustrated, Plamen, but bring it down a notch, OK...it's not doing any good, and doesn't inspire others to help you.
If you want a motion blur to be created that looks *exactly* like film, shoot film. Simple. If you want a motion blur that is similar to film, then Vegas and other tools do a reasonable job of giving it to you. However, the blur will be dependent on your skills as a shooter. If you don't move the camera in the same manner as a film cam, it won't look like film either. For many people, close is good enough. For me, it's not. If I want that blur, I'll shoot XDCAMHD at 24p, and now the V1U at 24p. Even then, it's not *exactly* like film. The only thing that will give you the *exact* look of film blur, is film with the frame rate and gate angle set to your pref.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...