DVCPROHD MXF Files in the Timeline with Raylight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM   #1
Contributor

DVCPROHD MXF Files in the Timeline with Raylight

DVFilm Raylight now has a plugin for Vegas that allows you to
put Panasonic MXF files directly into the timeline.

See http://dvfilm.com/raylight
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

yup, its been out for a while... u DO need a chunky PC to get teh most from it, and rendering .. lets just say that if u thought HDV was slow.. this is gonna drive u mad..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
yup, its been out for a while... u DO need a chunky PC to get teh most from it, and rendering .. lets just say that if u thought HDV was slow.. this is gonna drive u mad..
The plugin for Vegas is a new feature of Raylight (as of about 24 hours ago). Previously you had to convert the MXF files to Raylight AVI but now you can drag them directly into the timeline.

Slow rendering was mainly a problem with the very old versions of Raylight. On the fairly cheap dual core AMD system I have here for example, a 2-min program of 1280 x 720 24P MXF files can be rendered to DVD widescreen format in about 2.5 minutes, so just slightly longer than real time. That's not bad.
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Jubal 28

I'm very pleased with the performance I'm getting with this -- and can't wait for the further support. It only stood to reason that if Sony wouldn't do it, someone else would see the market potential and do it for them.

It always was a matter of will to do it. I can't imagine that Marcus paid for Panasonic's DVCPRO SDK -- no way to charge what does for Raylight if he did -- so it shows that a little personal enterprise can get the job done without it. If he did pay for the SDK, this shows it's economically feasible to do so and charge the customer less than $200 for it (and free upgrades! Rock ON!). Either way, it pretty much shows Sony was simply unwilling to provide the necessary support.

We had said more than a year ago that we'd be willing, if Sony didn't want to figure in the cost of doing this into the Vegas price, to pay $200-$400 extra for an "HVX Pak." Well, someone's cashing in on that now.

If it's a market that Sony simply didn't want to pursue, it's their business (and their legitimate business decision). But frankly, that Marcus was able to do this torpedoes the idea that it was all about Panasonic's exorbitant DVCPRO SDK kit. It was obviously about something else.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Trustee

How does Raylight compare to Cineform in terms of performance? Same, better, worse.. ?

Also can someone tell me if it's the rendering time that's improved by using these "after market" codecs or just how well footage plays on a time-line... or both?

Thanks..
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #6

With regard to DVCProHD, I've got old Raylight and old CineForm installed. Haven't upgraded either of them, but should.
Old versions, Raylight outperforms CineForm by a little bit.
Rendering on either codec is faster than what you'd expect.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #7
Trustee

In another thread under the Sony HC1/3/5/7 forum titled "Editing HD Footage" the thread started Joe and I tested both new codecs (trial) using Sony Vegas and posted the results there.. basically Cineform was a little slower playing off the timeline than Raylight was. The clip was 1080i with 3 effects on it.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hingsberg
In another thread under the Sony HC1/3/5/7 forum titled "Editing HD Footage" the thread started Joe and I tested both new codecs (trial) using Sony Vegas and posted the results there.. basically Cineform was a little slower playing off the timeline than Raylight was. The clip was 1080i with 3 effects on it.
Maybe I'm in the dark. I was unaware that Raylight had an HDV toolset?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Trustee

We used the CapDVHS program to capture footage from the camera to the hard drive in MPG format, then used raylight to convert it into the raylight codec.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #10
Jubal 28

I wasn't aware that Raylight could convert MPEGs?
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
We used the CapDVHS program to capture footage from the camera to the hard drive in MPG format
Raylight doesn't convert to MPG... we used CapDVHS to capture footage directly into MPG format from tape, then Raylight to convert.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #12
Jubal 28

I understood what you said. I just wasn't aware that Raylight would convert MPEGs to Raylight codec, if that's what you meant.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #13
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson
I wasn't aware that Raylight could convert MPEGs?
see
http://dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightTutorial7.htm

:)
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Jubal 28

:)

Guess I didn't have to worry about that part. Good to know!
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #15
Contributor

Quote:
How does Raylight compare to Cineform in terms of performance? Same, better, worse.. ?

Also can someone tell me if it's the rendering time that's improved by using these "after market" codecs or just how well footage plays on a time-line... or both?

Thanks..
Also in case you are editing DVCPROHD, here's another tidbit comparing the
codecs used in the 2 applications:

http://dvfilm.com/raylight/raylightRes.htm#Panasonic
Marcus van Bavel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...