Ok once Im done creating all my files, how do I burn them? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 13th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #16
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jucin
Ok would that work though? Im not looking for anything crazy for the menu, just your basics.
Yes it would work. It just has fewer features than the full version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce
I always thought it was better to render to avi. Why is mpeg2 better? more efficient?
MPEG 2 is a delivery format for all DVDs at this point, and rendering to AVI first costs you quite a bit of color information.
I address this to an extent in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Tg0PT9yc
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
MPEG 2 is a delivery format for all DVDs at this point, and rendering to AVI first costs you quite a bit of color information.
I address this to an extent in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N_Tg0PT9yc
Okay, so what are good uses of videos rendered to AVI? for viewing on a computer?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #19

AVI or AudioVidoInterleaved, is a packaging format that allows for a wide variety of compressed and uncompressed formats. It's easy to move from place to place while maintaining quality. It *generally* requires less horsepower from the CPU (depending entirely on the codec packaged in the avi, of course), while MPEG 2 is a fixed format codec that has bitrate limitations. MPEG 2 is designed as a delivery format while avi is designed as an editing/archiving/transport/sharing format.
If you're printing to tape, you must use an avi format on the pc platform. if you're printing to DVD, you must use an mpeg format.
Hope this very brief explanation helps?
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
AVI or AudioVidoInterleaved, is a packaging format that allows for a wide variety of compressed and uncompressed formats. It's easy to move from place to place while maintaining quality. It *generally* requires less horsepower from the CPU (depending entirely on the codec packaged in the avi, of course), while MPEG 2 is a fixed format codec that has bitrate limitations. MPEG 2 is designed as a delivery format while avi is designed as an editing/archiving/transport/sharing format.
If you're printing to tape, you must use an avi format on the pc platform. if you're printing to DVD, you must use an mpeg format.
Hope this very brief explanation helps?
Thanks DSP, I never knew rendering to AVI puts you back in the 4.1.1 world. I watched you video, you mentioned hdv has the best "error correction" of any format. What is error correction?
Old January 13th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #21

*All* digital mediums have errors. Those errors are detected, compared, and corrected. Error correction provides some redundancy to protect against dropouts.The data travels in small packets, and in those travels, sometimes the data can (and often is) corrupted. Error correction looks at various aspects of the data via code, that ensures a clean signal, barring any total failure of a frame.
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:29 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
*All* digital mediums have errors. Those errors are detected, compared, and corrected. Error correction provides some redundancy to protect against dropouts.The data travels in small packets, and in those travels, sometimes the data can (and often is) corrupted. Error correction looks at various aspects of the data via code, that ensures a clean signal, barring any total failure of a frame.
That's interesting because HDV naysayers often condemn HDV for its propensity to artifacts and dropouts.
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #23

There are a lot of misinformed measurebators in the world. The bottom line is whether it performs well for you or not. With significantly more HDV camcorders than any other format in the HD world..., there are a lot of users that would disagree with that condemnation.
If you don't own an HDV camcorder, perhaps you should borrow/rent one if you're in the market for an HDV camcorder. Otherwise, I'd invite you to read the other forums here on DVInfo.net for more information.
Let's not turn this into an HDV discussion in the Vegas forum, please?
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #24
Regular Crew

DSE, now you mention this for all of the HDV, what about regular DV like Im using with my GL1s and just your normal DV Cameras, do I still want MPG2 no matter what?

PS Thanks for all the info!
Tony Jucin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #25
Inner Circle

As Edward Troxel said earlier:
DVDs are MPEG2. You can either render to MPEG2 directly from Vegas or you can render to DV-AVI in Vegas and let DVD Architect render to MPEG2. Either way, you'll end up with MPEG2.

I personally create my MPEG-2 files from Vegas so that I have more control over the final quality but a lot of users (especially beginners) simply render to AVI and let DVD Architect do the rest of it for them.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jucin
DSE, now you mention this for all of the HDV, what about regular DV like Im using with my GL1s and just your normal DV Cameras, do I still want MPG2 no matter what?

PS Thanks for all the info!
If you're going to DVD, yes. you always want MPG2. Always.
Vegas can encode it straight to MPEG 2 which is the *best* option, or Vegas can create an avi that DVD Architect (or other tool) will turn into MPG 2, but rendering as avi and then transcoding that to MPG2 is costing you quite a bit of color and some sharpness.
You might as well just do it right from the start.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...