Problem with v7.0c and lengthy HDV files. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 9th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Problem with v7.0c and lengthy HDV files.

I've been having some problems in v7.0c with long HDV files. I captured about 12 hours worth of stuff using Vegas capture directly from a Sony V1u. Most of the files are at least an hour long with a couple of them being over two hours. I shot it HD, but plan to edit and deliver in SD. The .M2t files import fine into Vegas, but when I attempt to export the files as Widescreen DV (or 4x3 DV using the pan and crop function), the renders progress along fine until some point near the end of the file where the preview window goes black and the frames just stop processing, yet the elapsed time counter keeps on going. Vegas never completes the render. Also, on a couple of the shorter (just under one hour) files, the render completes, but the audio from the last 5-10 minutes is missing in the DV file. The audio just flat-lines. There are a couple of files which are 15 to 20 minutes in length and Vegas converts them without a hitch.

All I'm trying to do is convert the HDV files to DV, all the .M2T files play fine on the timeline in their entirety. There were no dropped frames and, since I captured the video directly to hard disk, tape dropouts aren't a consideration. Vegas simply chokes on the longer files, but doesn't actually crash. Like I said, the elapsed time indicator keeps on ticking, but Vegas just stops rendering. Processor usage drops from 100% to about 5% and I can't cancel the render, all I can do is end the Vegas process in Task Manager. I'm using a Quad-core processor with 2 GB of RAM and plenty of hard drive space.

I've had to resort to converting the files in Premiere Pro v2.0! YUCK!

Any ideas?

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline
...I'm using a Quad-core processor with 2 GB of RAM and plenty of hard drive space...
John, forgive me if this is way too basic a concern,

Is there sufficient drive space for your temporary and prerendered files folders? These default to a spot on the C drive, but for most of us should be pointed to a media drive.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Absolutely, there is over 1 terabyte free on my RAID and that's where the temp and pre-rendered files folders are set.

In Vegas v7, they changed the default value of the preview RAM settings. It is calculated on install depending on how much physical RAM is in your machine. On my machine, which has 2GB of RAM, it got set to 512MB. I backed it down to 16MB and started the render again, it seems to be rendering fine so far. It has about 30 minutes left, but it has gotten much further than it did before I backed down the RAM Preview setting. It appears that Vegas was just running out of RAM, but giving it an extra half-gig by changing the amount reserved by Vegas for preview may have made the difference. We'll see...

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, that didn't do it! I've tried these files on three different machines and the result is the same; the render hangs. On this latest file, which is about 74 minutes long, the render hung up at 115,761 frames, which is just over 64 minutes into the file. Task Manager reported no more than 700 MB of RAM used during the render. It also reported that there was 1.3GB of physical RAM available. Until it hung up, all four cores of my machine were humming along at 90 to 100%. I guess I'll have to split the files, render them out and join them up later.

Curiously, Premiere Pro v2.0 rendered all the files just fine. The problem is that I want to use Vegas, not Premiere!

John
John Cline is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...