Help with audio problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with audio problem.

Any ideas what to do. In Vegas I have the wedding vows but here is the problem. On a scale of 1 to 10 the pastor was an 8 the bride a 3 and the groom a 2. If I raise the volume for the bride and groom the pastor blows out.
Richard Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2

sounds like a job for limiter/compressor. if you have soundforge, the "normalize" function can help you. don't try this with the vegas version of "normalize" tho'.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Beyond that, you can also use the volume slider on the track in combination with a Volume Envelope and manually make adjustments. Using the Volume Envelope, you can boost the bride while reducing the pastor. It will take a lot of envelope points but is really easy to do.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I AMEN what Edward said. The volume envelope is your friend when it comes to this situation. It will take a lot points as mentioned but if you use that audio and combine it with ambient audio, if you have any, you can really make things sound good.

I have wedding I'm working on, the groom was so softspoken, no one and I mean noone heard him except the bride and pastor, and me. So when I got to the edit, I knew ahead of time I'd have to bump his audio.

Like was mentioned, the volume envelope is your friend. Use your friend.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Sponsor: VASST

I agree that a volume envelope gives you the most control but it is tedious and time consuming. If you don't have the time, throw Wave Hammer on the audio track, select the Voice preset, then on the Volume Maximizer tab, lower the Threshold until it sufficiently raises the lowest voice. If you get distortion on the loud voices, go back to the Compressor tab and lower the Output gain that is feeding the input stage of the Volume Maximizer until it doesn't clip.

~jr
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Trustee

can't imagine

editing with out the envelope would be impossible. at least to achieve a quality product. Hit "V" after clicking on an audio track and you should get the audio envelope. Then click and adjust for each and every back & forth for the voewsw, etc etc.

yes it is a pain i nthe butt, but it was created for exactly this kind of situation.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree Jason, especially with vows. Since vows are pretty short, it's not that big of a task to add points. The envelope is especially helpful for 'dumping' the rest o the audio on the track, if you don't need it, just add a point and pull down.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

Audacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
I agree Jason, especially with vows. Since vows are pretty short, it's not that big of a task to add points. The envelope is especially helpful for 'dumping' the rest o the audio on the track, if you don't need it, just add a point and pull down.
I also use Audacity (free and open source) to do most of my audio work because i just don't "get" sound forge. Audicity seems to have better control for exactly this sort of audio boosting / falloff. Why? Because you can see the wave for mas it gets compressed. That allows me to check to make sure my sections (bride, back to pastor, back to bride) all are even.

Vegas doesn't let you see the modified wave form which is a pain in the butt.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...