16:9 footage changes when effects added at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

16:9 footage changes when effects added

I'm using Vegas 6, and footage from an XL2, shot 24pA , 16:9. I'm in a 24P DV Widescreen project. When I do anything to a clip, add an effect, use pan/crop, etc., it changes the aspect ratio. Seems to become 4:3 (but letterboxed 4:3, not full screen), or at least it looks right when I use the 4:3 setting on my external monitor, whereas if I leave the external monitor in 16:9, it's like it becomes doubly squeezed, making it 2:35.1 .

What's the remedy?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

No ideas?

So, adding a velocity envelope to a clip doesn't make it happen, but everything else does.

Doesn't even matter if you change anything, simply adding an effect changes the clip.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

After you add an effect, go into PAN CROP and make sure it is still set at 16:9 - sounds like something is changing this. Do you have the properties of the timeline set to widescreen / 16:9?

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Phil Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #4
Slash Rules!

I'll try checking it.

Yes, it's a "DV Widescreen 24P" (that's the name of the Vegas template) project.

Doesn't matter if I actually mess with the pan crop tool or a regular effect, changes the ratio either way.
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Yeah, really weird. So it says "default" as the pan/crop setting once an effect is applied to a clip. No matter what setting I change it to, still looks doubly squeezed, vertically, on that particular clip.
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

hey josh, slightly unrelated but i just had a look at your website - i love your short films. really great stuff.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Jubal 28

What's happening is that before you add effects, it goes out to your monitor frame unrecompressed -- which means it's going out exactly as it is on the tape. If you watched the tape, it would look the same -- stretched up and down.

But when you add effects, it recompresses the frames, and the video goes out as 4:3 with black bars instead.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #8
Slash Rules!

Thanks for the compliment on the shorts.

So you're saying it's not really altering the video, just the way it looks? That once it's on tape/DVD/whatever it'll be fine?

Ok, so if I go to options/preferences/preview device, and uncheck "recompress edited frames", it doesn't resqueeze it, but now I can't see the changes except on the Vegas preview window! You mean I can't see my changes on my external monitor unless it's super squeezed? That's whack.

Last edited by Josh Bass; January 29th, 2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Jubal 28

No, it's not altering the video. It doesn't change in your preview on Vegas. That's what the video actually looks like on tape, if you were to play it FROM tape. It sends it through firewire exactly as-is.

If you uncheck that box, you won't be able to see any changes on your preview monitor, because Vegas won't be doing an on-the-fly recompression of the frames over firewire, so the changes won't carry over.
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

So what does one do?
Old January 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Jubal 28

If it bothers you, do something which affects the footage, even if it's only temporary. I don't know -- slide the track fader bar down to 99% opacity or something. A slight effect like that won't really be noticeable, and it shouldn't slow down playback much at all.
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Slash Rules!

Just to clarify, though--the aspect ratio changes I'm seeing AREN'T actually happening to the footage, just to the preview of it?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...