Captured clip frame rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Captured clip frame rate

New user here with Vegas 7. I shot some HD footage with my Canon A1 at a frame rate of "60i". When I captured it into Vegas, it is shown as "30i". This is confusing me. The project settings don't have anything to do with this do they?
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Surely someone has an idea. I don't want to continue capturing clips until I'm sure I won't have to recapture everything to fix a problem. Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

i am quite sure it's the same and you dont need to worry about it.

it's not the most scientific terminology since i would have thought 60i (as opposed to 60p) would suggest 60 frames a second (but interlaced) - which clearly isn't true. so your camera shoots at 30i and vegas imports it as such.
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #4
Jubal 28

It's the same thing for your purposes. I do wish the whole idea of referring to 60i as having a "frame rate" of 30 fps would go away. Probably way too entrenched for that, though.

It's called "60i" because 60 separate pictures are taken per second, so there are 60 moments in time -- 60 time samples -- captured. True, they are half-pictures, comprised of every other scan line per, but they're still 60 distinct pictures.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Thanks for the additional input. I was still a little confused but I think you've cleared it up for me. Correct me if I'm wrong. My A1's manual says 60i is the same as SD TV. This is more commonly referred to as 30fps interlaced, which is how Vegas describes it. Did I get that right? Initially when I saw 30fps interlaced, I thought 30 half pictures per sec. I could still be confused by it if I try to overthink it. Thanks!
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You did get it right Wade :-)
As David said, 60i refers to 60 half-pictures (or fields) per second.
Since one frame = 2 fields (odd numbered field and even numbered field), 60 of them (when interlaced) = 30 frames per sec.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike.

I'll tell ya. Another thing that added to my confusion was a frame rate option in Vegas's project properties that was referred to as "double NTSC". I wasn't so sure they weren't talking to me with that one.
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Jubal 28

You can use that if you have, say, 60p footage, because it's 60 (or 59.94) actual frames per second.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...