Best Way to adjust soft image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 28th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Way to adjust soft image

We did an event yesterday where we had a few cameras set up. We had multiple events going on, so we ended up renting one of the cameras (JVC-HD110) for the shoot. Idiot me didn't check the back focus on their camera, and the image is slightly soft (not the worst thing tht could have happened).

Is their a good / recommended way of "helping" this in vegas 7? I tried a bit of the sharpen feature, but it does introduce a bit of noise. The event was recorded in HDV 30p. It may not be that noticeable by the time we dump it to DVD, but I would still like to see if there are any other options to help correct this. I know it won't be perfect, but any suggestionswould be appreciated. Thanks

~By the way, it is just a static wide-shot on a tripod - never moved the whole day~
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Kit,

Glenn Chan has a great article on correcting soft focus in Vegas using the unsharp mask:

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/usm/usm.html

Good luck,
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Jesse,
Thanks so much, that little bit of info helped out tremendously. It's not ideal, although since it's not closeups or anything, just a wide shot, it makes it look much more acceptable. Thanks again for the help.
Kit
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #4

there's two ways I've found that help soft images. as with anything you do, a great dela of discretion and care must be used, however, having said that, I've found the following helps:
1-using the sony curves, filter, add contrast with a gentle "s" curve
2-apply the sony sharpen filter, with discretion.

use of the sony unsharp mask, imho, adds a lot of noise and makes sharpening unaceptable.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Bill,

I appreciate your comments about using a great deal of descretion when trying to repair a soft image. You are right about the addition of noise, which is also posible when just adding contrast. But the article I referenced, goes to that issue, using descretion to keep from overblowing the effect.
Old February 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #6
Major Player

I think using the sharpen tool looked much worse than the unsharp mask. I got very little noise from it, and it really cleaned up the image (although it made it a bit more contrasty). I did a light unsharp mask to the other cameras just to match the color's it was outputting, and it looks very acceptable now.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...