Just had the DVDs made and they dont play in half the Players??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 29th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just had the DVDs made and they dont play in half the Players???

Ok I had a company make 1000 DVDs of mine not just burns actually stamp and produce them. I used Sony Vegas 6.0 to make it. Now we sell them this weekend and half of them cant play in Xbox, PS3, Quailty DVD players. They lose sound after the menus, if you skip foward or backwards it loses sound.
Tony Jucin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Well, was you master out of DVD-A like this? If not, it seems to be a problem with the house you used.
Bennis Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with Bennis. This isn't a Vegas problem but the people that made the DVDs UNLESS the Master you made was bad-if not then the house screwed the pooch.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Wrangler

There's a ton of things that could cause this.

What was your video rates? Audio rates? Audio format?

My first guess is that combined audio and video rates are too high...coupled with uncompressed audio.

How did you deliver the project to the replicator? DVD-R? That causes problems too.
Old January 29th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

most companies today are competing on price, so they burn/stamp what you gave them and do not care if it is ok or not (that's your business).
If the company does not give you an analysis of your master, it means they do not care and you should have done it from yourself.
if you give the master on DVD-R, there is thousand of reason why it could be bad. usually good companies give you a sample you can test before you give the green light.
there are many tools to test a DVD (from the mechanical point of view or from the logical point of view, BLER , bandwith, 1-5 PIE,PIE,PIF,POE,POF,Jitter,Accurate static unbalance, radial eccentricity (radial runout), and radial and tangential tilt,reflectance, differential phase tracking amplitude and asymmetry, tangential push-pull, radial noise, I3, I14, asymmetry, and cross-track ).
If you have not done these tests, it is just like crossing the road with closed eyes.
usually it is the way everybody works, until something bad happens.
if you have your the compliance test of your master, then you can test the stamped disk and compare.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ill know more shortly when I get home on what the burn rates where. I used Nero to burn it at High Quality.

He said that some DVD players cant read certian audio bit rates and thats what he thinks it is. They supposedly did a analyze on my burned one and then the produced one. They are covering it so I just have a lot of PO customers.
Old January 29th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

I'll be honest with you Tony, I've authored about 25 DVD titles for retail, all dual-layer using DLTs, units totaling over 100K. I once had the hair-raising experience of authoring a give-away DVD for American Eagle that they made 300,000 copies of.

There's a lot of things that can go wrong, especially if you've only done it a couple times. The DVD spec says a total combined bitrate of 9.5mbits/sec or so is ok, but that assumes the playback device will not have to deal with a dirty disc, or any other problems. Smart money is to limit your total datarate to less than 9, even 8.5 is not too conservative I feel. Additional video angles, audio tracks, subtitle tracks, etc contribute to this rate.

Beyond that, there are issues with sample rates as mentioned above...I mean the list of potential problems is huge.

The problem, I'm sorry to say, is very most likely NOT with the plant. If you ask them, they will tell you YOU are responsible for disc QC BEFORE you bring it to them. They (the disc replicators) are data copiers, nothing more.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok here is my audio settings
Master Bus mode "Stereo"
Sample Rate "44,100"
Bit Depth "16"
Resample quality "good"

That is all from Vegas 6.0

Now I have
Nero burning software the settings on that is
Video Mode
NTSC
Nero Smart encoding is Automatic
and then the qaulity settings being set to high qaulity
and the sample format being automatic
the audio is automatic too I dont know whats up?

Why does it play in the begining and then just stop?
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

DVDs typically use AC3 audio encoded at a bitrate of 48KHz, not 44.1. I assume Nero does a bitrate conversion but I doubt it converts the audio to AC3. Thus, I suspect the combined video + audio bitrate is much too high.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Jucin
Ok here is my audio settings
Master Bus mode "Stereo"
Sample Rate "44,100"
Bit Depth "16"
Resample quality "good"

That is all from Vegas 6.0

Now I have
Nero burning software the settings on that is
Video Mode
NTSC
Nero Smart encoding is Automatic
and then the qaulity settings being set to high qaulity
and the sample format being automatic
the audio is automatic too I dont know whats up?

Why does it play in the begining and then just stop?
Your indicated settings suggest you're using MPEG audio, which most systems cannot play. Audio should be PCM or AC3, and 48k, not 44.1.
All DVD players are required to decode AC3 and play PCM.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Major Player

Did you have them replicated or duplicated?
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Trustee

If the issue turns out to be the audio I really believe a reputable production house should have caught the problem. On my very first DVD production I was inexperienced and used mpeg instead of PCM audio on the master. The replication company caught the problem thru what they call the "validation process" and informed me to burn another master using PCM audio which was no problem. No returns and no complaints from customers to date. I have been exclusively using that company ever since.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
No returns and no complaints from customers to date. I have been exclusively using that company ever since.

Regards,
Well since BH doesn't do dvd duplication as far as I know, maybe it would be frugal to list the name of this company for other's to consider. Just my two cents.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Im not sure if its considered duplication or replication. They created a stamp and produced them, they aren't just copying them.

They said they did 2 analysis's and it didn't catch anything.

Guys thanks for your help you are all awsome!
Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM   #15
Major Player

They're two different processes. Glass mastered replicated DVD's that I have made typically play on anything. Duplicated DVD's wont.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...