Opening an avid project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #1
New Boot

Opening an avid project

Someone just told me that it is possible to open an avid project in Vegas. Has anyone ever heard this before? That doesn't sound right to me.
Dan Gadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

No, it won't 'open'. They might have been talking about importing an EDL or something, but you can't just import a project and have it 'open'. I don't know of ANY NLE's that that is possible in. Usually, you need a third party application like "Automatic Duck" to do a 'translation' in order to open a project in a different NLE. But some NLE's do allow for a limited ammount of transferring EDL's and such.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #3
New Boot

Let me add why I'm asking this. I work with a broadcast team that outputs some of their stuff for use on the web. They use Avid. I use Vegas. I want all web video to be rendered as .wmv. In order for them to do this, they have to compress their finished piece once in the Avid, then render it again in Sorensen to .wmv. I have a major problem with this for two reasons, number one, we are compressing video twice, and number two, Sorensen doesn't have some of the specifications that I want for the wmv. That's why the idea of bringing an avid project onto a layer in Vegas, just as you can do with another Vegas project, is intriguing to me. Any ideas?

Last edited by Dan Gadd; February 8th, 2007 at 04:52 PM.
Dan Gadd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...