Volume envelopes & time - HELP NEEDED !!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Volume envelopes & time - HELP NEEDED !!!

Hi,

I needed some extra space in the beginning of my Vegas (7) project. Great - I found the "insert time" tool - great. It moved the markers in sync together with my material - that was the intention. I did a lot of editing before I realized that the VOLUME ENVELOPES on my audio tracks did NOT move along with everything else. Now the questions come:

1. What went wrong? Should the volume envelopes correctly follow time insertions? Is there an option for this? And if - why is it not activated by defalut?

2. Most important? How do I correct the problem - how do I select the volume envelope on an entire track and move it where it belongs???????

Additinally: can I delet time as I can insert time? I did not find such a control anywhere. I would be handy to cut away an empty part of the project so that EVERYTHING moves in sync to close the gap (the markers and EVEN the audio envelopes)...

Any help is more than welcome.....

Best regards,

Christian
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Make sure the "Lock Envelopes to Events" button is turned ON on the toolbar.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

to delete time on the timeline simply double click in the empty space (this will set a region on all tracks) hit either DELETE or CNTRL X ---THEN you can hit the F key and that will ripple the material to join up with the material before it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

Hmmm... thanks guys :) I should consider to read the manual - some sunny day. I learned today (with the help of you) how significant this small button "lock envelopes" is ... It should be activated by default when you lauch the app... aarghhh...

I also now learned the F-key (post edit ripple) ***feeling ashamed****. Imagine that I have survived without that functionality until now. No wonder that CTL X or DEL did not work - I did not push the F-key.... ;)

Wonderful this forum and all the help you give to us Vegas rookies... Thanks!!! Vegas IS a fantastic application, learning its (few) oddities it is even greater!

Best regards,

Christian
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hmm..

Ironically... I just prised Vegas and now it halted with an error - again.

Sony Vegas 7.0
Version 7.0d (Build 192)
Exception 0xC0000005 (access violation) READ:0x13D55FE8 IP:0x4A0C06
In Module 'vegas70.exe' at Address 0x400000 + 0xA0C06
Thread: GUI ID=0xA28 Stack=0x12F000-0x130000

I was just editing the audio envelopes when this happened.... Vegas 6 was more stable :(

Christian
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Auto Ripple

The way that I accomplish what you set out to do is to use auto-ripple (with the proper setting: all marker, tracks and regions ON) and I just drag the entire project from the beginning of the first event (be it audio or video) as far as I need, or even a little farther, and then drag it back when and as needed. I do this often, works great for me. I just have to remember to turn off Auto Ripple when I don't need it, as that can cause havoc...which has happened on numerous occasions!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...