Broadcast standard transition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Broadcast standard transition

I'm using Vegas 7.0 and was wondering what the standard length and type of transition is used between clips? Trying to make a music video and It looks like .25 sec and a slide in from left? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dana
Dana Bergerstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #2
New Boot

just looking for the standard they use on tv...nothing special.
Thanks
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I worked at Grass Valley for ten years, and designed major parts of two switchers, and I never heard of a standard broadcast transition time. We just made the equipment, and the broadcasters used them as they desired. Maybe there would be a standard within a given company or show to help with branding, but I don't think there's anything like a SMPTE or EBU standard.

I would recommend capturing the video that you like, loading it into Vegas, and counting the frames. Also, if you're talking about a push or slide effect, it might have an S-shape for acceleration and deceleration. By capturing an example, you could get yours to look just the way that you want.
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Yeah, transitions depend on the mood of whatever it is you happen to be editing. If you're editing something really fast-paced, you might want to go with a half second transition. On the other hand, if you're editing a sad, emotional, slower-paced piece, you might want to go with a one or two second transition.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for your help, I will record a section and check it out !
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Trustee

Fit the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
Yeah, transitions depend on the mood of whatever it is you happen to be editing. If you're editing something really fast-paced, you might want to go with a half second transition. On the other hand, if you're editing a sad, emotional, slower-paced piece, you might want to go with a one or two second transition.
Agreed.... the transitions should fit the piece. Fast up beat music gets cuts (as an example) where as slow-mo establishing shots with soft focus get 1 second crossfades. Just as an example. Those are my personal preferences.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...