Preview Window: Trimmer Works but not Timeline at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Trustee

Preview Window: Trimmer Works but not Timeline

Long title, annoying problem.

So a few minutes ago I am reading through the "Computer to Studio RGB" thread and I'm messing with scope settings, etc. Then I suspect that I messed up my Vegas settings. So I figure, no problem, I'll just go into "Options" -> "Preferences" and select the "Default All" option to reset everything.

Now that I did that, only video played in the trimmer shows up in my preview window. I cannot see any video when playing from my time line! So naturally this freaks me out and I hunt though the preview window settings to make sure I everything seems ok, and it does. No attempt to preview to a non-existent external monitor (which doesn't seem to work any way).

I have reset my window settings to default and back again to my custom layout (over two monitors) and no matter which screen the preview window is on (primary display or secondary) it is black when playing from the timeline but shows the video just fine when playing from the trimmer.

And to add to the annoyance, I can open other projects and not have this problem. It seems to be isolated to this one project.

Any Vegas Gurus have any answers, or at least point me in the correct direction? My alternate course of action is to uninstall Vegas and reinstall from scratch and HOPE that takes care of the problem.

Thanks for your time.

Jason Robinson

Last edited by Jason Robinson; March 5th, 2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: additional information
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Solution

Ok, so now I feel real dumb. But I'll post what the solution was in case any one else makes a similar mistake.

I had also been playing with trying to composite a few tracks to get the "letters made of a background video" effect. Turns out that I switched a track from "Add Alpha" to "mask - multiply".

The problem is that I get the effect I wanted when I have text above video and I put the text track to mask. But as soon as I do that, the video track never shows up again.

So I guess I still have some problems to figure out with compositing to get it to work properly.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...