New Vegas User at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Major Player

New Vegas User

I just got a copy of Vegas 6 to put on my laptop. Normally I edit with Liquid 6 and at work I use PPro 1.5. I've been a longtime user of Premiere and have been working with LE since v.5. My problem is I'm trying to understand the Vegas interface. Last night I was working on audio. So here is my question:
How do you put key frames in to adjust certain parts of an audio clip? In other NLEs all I have had to do is put in keyframes and then adjust audio up or down in precise areas. For the love of me I couldn't figure it out last night. I could control the volume of the entire track, but not an individual clip. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stoney
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hey David. Just letting you know that I've been Premiere user for years, and having same difficulties adjusting to the Vegas interface. I'm beginning to see the benefits and it will get better. I m going to learn from your post from one of the gurus here too.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

David:

Check this thread out for directions to go:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=key+frames
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Right click on the audio track header....
Select INSERT/REMOVE ENVELOPE > VOLUME
On the blue line that just appeared you can right click and add points. Click on the points and push them up or down.

Have fun,
Bob T.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stoneburner View Post
...How do you put key frames in to adjust certain parts of an audio clip?...
In vegas-speak, you want to first insert a volume envelope for that track (this is track level, not clip level), then, double click on the envelope (blue line) anywhere you want to create a point (perhaps equiv. to a key frame in liquid/Premiere?)
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks guys-- helped me out....
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #7

When you upgrade to Vegas 7, you can draw those envelope points/keyframes in the audio with a paintbrush in realtime as well, or you can use any MIDI controlled HUI to control the volume controls with your fingers on a phyical knob.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. I thought I messed with the volume envelope and was able to make a couple of points, but somehow I brought down the level of the clip after it as well. I was trying to make a slow fade out of a particular clip. I like learning new software and I plan on putting it to good use. It seems to run pretty well so far on my Turion 64 laptop with 1 gig of ram. Thanks again.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

When you're adding points to a volume curve, be sure to add TWO points at each end of the clip you want to adjust - the "inner" pair allows you to raise/lower the clip you're working on, and the "outer" pair ensures that you do NOT change the volume in the REST of the track unintentionally... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks. I ended up putting the other audio on another track, but what you are saying makes sense. It seems that it will help if I think of audio editing terms, like "split" instead of "cut" or "splice". It's nice to have a few different tools to your kit.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...