file associations removed by 3rd Party App at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Major Player

file associations removed by 3rd Party App

Recently installed WMP9, RealPlayer and QuickTime Pro and all my files associated to Vegas etc. have now acquired the Quick Time Icon. This is pretty frustrating as I can't quickly see what's what when opening anything for example. Anyone know a quick way to get them back to the Vegas icons? I know how to remove them from Quick Time pref.s but they just revert back to the last hijack software install which was RealPlayer!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell View Post
Recently installed WMP9, RealPlayer and QuickTime Pro and all my files associated to Vegas etc. have now acquired the Quick Time Icon. This is pretty frustrating as I can't quickly see what's what when opening anything for example. Anyone know a quick way to get them back to the Vegas icons? I know how to remove them from Quick Time pref.s but they just revert back to the last hijack software install which was RealPlayer!

Maybe get rid of real player...

It will never give up on system dominance!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Major Player

Got rid of Real Player, but all file icons within explorer window are 'windows unknown file association default' icons.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4

Control Panel/Folder Options/File Associations....
Associate which file types with which player/application you'd like them to work with.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks. started doing that but can't remember or find what applications I had opening some files, such as AC3 for example. Was hoping there was a quick way of resetting defaults from Vegas first install.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Major Player

Any ideas anyone? I'm afraid I can't seem to find the applications to open particular files which gave me the little file icons I remember or recognise! Do file types have a default icon image in windows explorer before you designate an application to open them?

For example;

Next to an AC3 audio file (when adding media into DVD Architecht for example) I had a small blue square with a couple of stripes in it! I can't locate that for the life of me! I've still got those bloody RealPlayer logos next to all the media files even though I've done a full uninstall!

I know this is a pinickity sort of problem to solve, but it's one of those little things that's beginning to drive me mad....and it is wasting a lot of my time searching through files finding the right file type to open or import!

Please help!
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If you have a system restore point that's old enough (before file associations got mucked up) you might try that - but

BEFORE YOU DO, move any recently added folders OFF your desktop to your documents folder - system restore is known to sometimes erase desktop items that weren't there when the restore point was generated... Steve
Steve Leverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:12 AM   #8
Major Player

ok, seriously need some help now.

restore point does not go back far enough.

1. What should the default application be for an AC3 file be? I've been to Dolby and had no luck. and can't find any application on my system that looks like it did before Real was installed.

2. I cannot seem to get any of my files back in order or locate the original opening applications.

I know I'm getting worked up over a trivial problem but it's driving me mad! Will reinstalling Vegas do the trick, and if so do I really need to delete registry entries as Sony suggest?

Advice to anyone out there thinking of installing Real Player.....DONT!!!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:17 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Control Panel/Folder Options/File Associations....
Associate which file types with which player/application you'd like them to work with.
sometimes this doesnt always work...

another trick is to right click the file, and "open with" then select the box "always use this app to blah balh"

I was going to suggest system restore, but youve already tried that.
what you might be abel to do is go into Quicktime player and go to preferences or options (cant rememebr offhand) and turn off the associations with this app..

as for AC3, mines set to DVDArchitect, but because there arent any actual ac3 playback apps available this works for me..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Reapplying the last update to Vegas might reassociate the files. I don't know for sure, but that's a possibility.
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...