Time Lapse I did in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Time Lapse I did in Vegas

Here's a time lapse of some wispy clouds on Mt Rainier (in Washington State). I rendered every 6th frame as an image sequence, and then brought it into After Effects to CC and then rendered it out.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...2FEDBD7328E25F

I have the HD (720p) version if anyone wants it.

SB

Edit: HD version: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...06BC03336A91AE
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Steven, nice timelapse! (nice mountain!)

Was this one tape's worth of shooting, or did you change tapes or record on a hard drive?
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That was only 20 minutes of tape, actually.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Steven,

Thanks for sharing your clip with us, I have a question for you I have a 15 minute cloud footage that I need to do the time lapse, but I have no clue as how to do it in Vegas is it possible for you to explain it in details for me please?

Thanks in advance
Matthew
Matthew Amirkhani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

One way: Put the clip you want to shorten on a timeline in Vegas. Put your cursor at either end of clip so that it looks like you are selecting to shorten the clip. Left click and depress contol key at same time. A squigley line will come up, and then you can shorten or lengthen to particular clip. That goes 4x it looks like. Maybe rerender a couple of times shorten clip each time.
Old April 1st, 2007, 08:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Bills View Post
I rendered every 6th frame as an image sequence, and then brought it into After Effects to CC and then rendered it out.
Hi Steve,

How did you grab evey sixth frame in vegas? Was this done by hand selecting individual frames?

When I have done timelapses in Vegas I use the velocity envelope to speed up clips as much as 300% and render these clips back to m2t files until I need them in a project. (repeat this process for even more sped up effect)

I would be very interested to know if I could actually run some sort of vegas script that would grab discreet frames and drop them to an seperate timeline. This may save a great deal of rendering and possibly achieve better results.

Anyone care to comment?
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:24 PM   #7

James,
Ultimate S can grab every 'n' frame if that's what you want to do. There are other scripts, I believe, that can set up a frame sequence export as well.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
There are other scripts,
Yes there are. Excalibur can also do it. However, you might look at the free scripts like this one and modify it to meet your needs.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Hmmm....I should have looked at Vegas a little more closely before posting my question. Turns out it has a very handy little script already included with version 7 for just this sort of idea. It lets you choose the interval at which to grab snapshots from a video clip and exports them as sequential jpg filenames. All I needed to do after that was bring them back as stills setting a very short still picture duration from the editing preferences. After rendering this out as a new movie ....voila....another method of timelapse other than velocity enveloping clips. It has a slightly different look as well with a crisper image instead of blurring. Not necessarily better...but different.

Thanks for the previous info too...I tried the script you made Edward and I like the fact it makes png files.

Last edited by James Hooey; April 3rd, 2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Here's how to do it...

Wow, thanks for all the kind words guys. I've been gone the past few days, so I haven't been able to reply. Anyways, to render out every nth frame, say, for a time lapse, go to Tools > Scripting > Render Image Sequence. The Image Sequence dialog box will pop up, and there you can choose the destination for all the images, file name, file type, start and end times, and at the very bottom there is a field for 'Step Time'. It's default setting is set at 00:00:00:01. With that setting, it will render every frame, so for this particular time lapse, I changed the values to 00:00:06:00. That is 1 frame per every 6 seconds. So once the render got done, I imported the image sequence into After Effects, and then CC'd it, and rendered it out.

Bam. Done.

SB
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Footage from Sony HDR-HC3 ?

Hey Steven I thought you had said at one time you had a Sony HDR-HC3 . Nice video.
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Yep, the footage is from the HC3.
Steven Bills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...